Barge traffic...

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by GoFish_Tony, Jul 13, 2006.

1. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I found a pretty good link that explains "The law of Gross Tonnage" and gives some really good advice about staying clear of barge traffic.

I've been around a lot of barge traffic on the Illinois River here in Illinois. I know they deserve all the respect and space you can give them. I've also witnessed some "near death" situations between boaters and barges.

It might do us all good to read this and get a refresher.

Better to learn here then the "hard way" on the river.

Take a look:
    http://www.auxguidanceskills.info/press/bigger.html

Tony
    _

2. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Good advice there. Reps coming your way.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great post, I think every boater should have to take a safty course.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    A lot of states are making it mandatory. Some people have no sense on the water and safety would be good.

5. DuckNurse

DuckNurse New Member

State:
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    Excellent info!! I wish all states made boating safety a requirement, like hunter's safety.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Great information there. I agree about having some kind of boating schooling or testing of some kind before being turned loose on the waterways.

7. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Thanks for the article, barges are my worst fear when im on the river inside the channel markers. Seems like alot of the pleasure boaters and jet skiers dont seem to have that fear.

8. bigmic900

bigmic900 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    isnt it just common sense to stay out of the way of a barge

9. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Yeah you would think, but there are definantly some idiots out there..I know i keep my distance from them

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for the great post.

11. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Great post, I really stay on top of those barges they sneak up on you real fast, found out to never trust them also, took a trip down to the Cumberland river well it was my first time there marked a ton of fish in an outside bend in the river was going to anchor down near the shore but saw a barge coming down the river so decided to wait till he passed by, as he rounded that turn there was a red can marking the channel watched him run right over top of it and slam the tug into the shoreline where we would have been anchored up that shook me up for several hours and still to this day I won't anchor on an outside bend at least not on the Cumberland River................Doc

12. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Living in Idiana I would love to see a bage go by. Not nessasarily in a boat tho.
    That has to be a amazing sight!
    Bill