Barge traffic influences bites ( POLL)

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Desode, Oct 13, 2008.

Why do fish bite when a barge goes by ?

1. Fish move closer to the shore because of the barge.

2. The change in water pressure makes them feed.

3. Waves from the barge stir up the bottom causing feeding

4. Electrical impulses/virations from the engines make them bite

5. Barges have no affect on when fish bite

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry I had to post this twice the poll wouldn't add the the other thread.

I have always wondered about this, and to me it seems that for years I have been having catfish bite when a barge goes by while I'm fishing on the ohio river. I was talking to a friend of mine about this when we were out fishing the other night and I figured I would get some BOC feedback on this matter. I'm going to set up a poll with some of the reasons I feel this happens, but if you guys got any other explainations other then the ones on the poll , please post them.
    Matt AKA DESODE

2. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If anyone knows of a study/ article on the web that has been done on this subject, please post a link to it. This has been a question that has bugged me for 20+yrs of catfishing.
    Matt AKA DESODE

3. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Ive noticed the same thing with trout on a lake. Seems like a boat going by causes the fish to move momentarily causing them to find your bait.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I think for the most part barge traffic has no effect on the bite. With one exception, below a dam. The rise and fall of the water level while a barge is going through the locks may awaken the fish some. I just emailed a biologist I know with ODNR. I'll post his response whenI get it.

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I chose the waves stir up crap from the bottom and they know there is more to eat. I really have no idea but it makes as much sense as the other options LOL. Good question tho I hope that ODNR has done a study on it but I doubt it. Do you think we can get a couple million dollars from DNR OH/KY/IN to do this study year round :smile2:, that way we can fish year round for our job and get paid some megabucks doing it LOL.

6. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've had very little experience fishing around barges. But the one time i did a couple years ago, a buddy and i were out on the Ohio in his boat near Belpre and a barge came through. Shortly there after he caught a 42 lb flattie so i don't think that they hurt the bite any. JMO

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Waves from the barges stir up the bottom/plankton causing bait fish to move and feed. Completing the chain this causes the cats to feed on the bait fish. I've observed this for years and believes it makes a difference in shallow water.

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd even be willing to relocate !!!

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    works for me sometimes

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I don't really know, But I went with "waves" on account of on small rivers I have noticed a beneficial effect from trains going by (vibration)that seems to be roughly the same as barges on a larger river.

It does not always work but often enough that if I see a barge coming, or hear a train coming, I quit fiddle-farting around and make ready.

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    There is alot of barge traffic on the lakes I fish, and there is a noticeble increase in fish activity right after one goes by. When a tow goes through they stir up/stun alot of shad and thats like a dinner bell for catfish.
    Next time one goes through during daylight, watch the birds dive down grabbing the shad. Now if a tow pulls up, stops and sits there idling the bite stops.

At least thats what I've observed over the years.

12. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I always figured that the wake/waves stir up your bait(fans the scent out) and calls attention to it. It happens on windy days too when a gust stirs up waves or a boat passes on a lake or reservoir. Seems that by the time the waves start to diminish a cat finds my bait.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Waves from the barges stir up the bottom/plankton causing bait fish to move and feed. Completing the chain this causes the cats to feed on the bait fish. I've observed this for years and believes it makes a difference in shallow water.>

Mickey hit it on the head. Same principle as why sea gulls follow boats I guess. Stuff to eat stirred up behind them.
    Bill in SC

14. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Take a look at your fishfinder next time a barge goes by and you will see all the bait scatter and come off the bottom.I beleive it does turn them on.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've always heard it works. I fish the Ohio and Big Sandy rivers, the Sandy is a lot smaller. There is always a lot of tug and barge traffic on both and I've not noticed any difference at all this year. I think nothing short of dynamite is gonna help the bite around here this year...:smile2:

16. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    about 80-90 percent of the time where i fish if a barge passes by then you better pay attention to your poles the action is about to pick up. i fished all night on a boat dock this year and while the sun was up a big barge came through and as it did i happened to glance in the water and was amazed at all of the bluegills, whitebass, etc., that was being pulled out from under the dock by the undertow caused from the barge. these fish were not going willingly either as they were all trying to swim back under but they were literally being sucked out and kept getting further out in the river. i think the flatheads ( if they are in the area ) key in on this oppurtunity and take advantage of this situation. wish i would have had a video camera for that.

17. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    ive caught my personal best when two barges passed in front of me in the ohio river, and have alot of the time had the bite pickup when a barge or train pass by. im gonna go with stirrin up the bottom causes them to feed for sure.