Bare Hook

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by vetrock, May 4, 2008.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I caught a flathead on a yo yo this morning using a live sunfish I had caught saturday. I didn't have time to pick the yo yos up because i had to get to church, so I just left them there. This particular yoyo's hook was still dangling in the water after I took off the fish.
    When I went to pick up the yo yos this afternoon, I had a channel cat on the same yo yo.
    I've heard of catching a cat on a bare hook, but never had until today. I had used some stink bait on some hooks, maybe I got some on that one while baiting it with the perch last night. I don't know, but it was still pretty cool. Good eatin too.:big_smile:

2. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    was your hook silver? probably thought it was a shad or baitfish.

3. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    No, it was a brown hook. It had to be the smell. Had to.:confused2:

4. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Don't know the reason but a nice surprise!

5. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Vet- Just a word of advice. I beleive that here in Arkansas , if you are fishing with yo-yo's then you can not leave them unattended!!! Especially during the daylight hours. Just warning you before the warden does. His warning could cost a pretty penny:sad2:.

6. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Yeah, I had that conversation with a guy today. The yo yo was tripped. It was just on a low overhanging log and the hook was dangling in the water.

I wonder if that is still an offense?

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    yo yo's can be left unattended from dusk til dawn now but in your case I think the game warden woulda wrote ya a ticket

8. jde512

jde512 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I caught a channel cat on an unbaited hook one time back in Kansas. Our local sportsmans club held an annual catfish derby and the rules said you could have your lines in the water, but they could not be baited until everyone left from the starting point. We had a couple of trotlines and several limb lines put in place and when we started baiting, I had 3 lb. channel on a bare silver hook that I'd replaced on one of the trotlines.