bare hook

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Flightline, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Anyone use just a bare hook on jugs? no bait just a hook and how successful is this ? Seems to me if I'm gong to go through all the trouble of making jugs I should use bait. But I talked to a couple of guys this week that use bare hooks. :confused2:

2. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    I think that is basically snag lining.
    I know of a guy that uses strips of Coors cans on his trot line hooks in the Arkansas river. And they catch fish.
    That doesn't really surprise me but I would think live bait would be much better.
    My guess is they don't check those jugs very often, just leave them in an check them when they can. Which is against the law.

3. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks just wanted to see what some of you thought.

4. Southern Woman

Southern Woman New Member

State:
    Texas
    We always bait with cut shad and it works fine...never heard of bare hooks. Now catch a a lot of catfish.

5. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    They do it here on Eufaula with a shallow set trotline with foam blocks spaced along the trotline, with foil on each hook. The trick to making this work is chop on the water during the full moon phase.......looks like shad feeding on top.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anthony Welcome to the BOC. I agree with Leland on this. This creates an action bite from flash/movement.

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have caught catfish several times while baiting a new line with new
    stainless hooks. The movement of me baiting the line causes the hooks
    to rise and fall with the hooks flashing triggering the bite.