Bardwell Report

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bobby-catfishing, Jun 2, 2008.

1. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I spent this past weekend camping with my family at Lake Bardwell down in Ennis. We really didn't spend a whole lot of time fishing. We put in about 8 hours total on the water in one to two hour increments and ended up cleaning around 100 channel cats from one to four pounds for our effort. Most of the fish were caught shallow, less than a foot deep along wind-blown points, brush and grass. All fish were caught on Secret 7 dip bait by Team Catfish and punch bait. We had a really nice fish fry Friday night and brought home plenty of filets for another get-together or two with family and friends. Bardwell is a great little lake and is loaded with catfish. I grew up fishing the lake and enjoy getting back to my roots from time to time.

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Nice catch & even spent it w/family-even better!!!

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Where were you camping? I go over bardwell alot and have wondered about camping there. I saw a sign for a park or two. Do they have a place to fish for the day.

4. bobby-catfishing

State:
    Highland Villag
    We camped at Waxahachie Creek Park. It's probably the nicest park on the lake. You can pay a day use fee and fish in the park or launch a boat. We fished out of the boat mostly. I chummed the shoreline near our campsite with range cubes and caught a bunch of little channel cats from the bank. I never had to chum any of the spots we fished from the boat. The fish were there and more than willing to bite. No telling how many fish we could have caught though if we had put out soured grain and range cubes in the better spots we fished. This is the perfect time for bank fishermen because the fish are shallow and easily accessible to those without a boat.

5. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I'll be down there camping this weekend at High View Park. Any words of wisdom as I have never even seen this lake, let alone fished it....

6. bobby-catfishing

State:
    Highland Villag
    Bill,
    Fish shallow along wind-blown banks, points, brush and grass with Secret 7 dip bait by Team Catfish. You should also be able to locate some deeper fish and bait out a few spots with range cubes and soured grain.

7. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Spent about 6 hours total off the bank from High View Park. Didn't have as much time to fish as I would have liked... caught a few small cats, and one sunfish with with a treble hook and DK Blood on a carolina rig... Very weird..

had a great weekend and will go back to that lake. Thanks for the tips, Bobby!