Bardge Sinks in James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dallison, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Last Sunday I saw that a barge with ammonia chloride sank. I haven't heard anything since. I would imagine that this would kill alot of fish....
    Has there been any information published that could explain what's being done about this?

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I remember a few years back members talking about one of the key contributions to the overall size of Blue Catfish in the James was its pollution and fish health advisories.

People were advised not eat them, so it helped grow the population and insulate it from the traditional harvesting practices of popular catfish rivers.

But this isn't good. I am sure we have a member with a Chemical Engineering Degree that can say what the long term / short term effects of ammonia chloride will do to the fishery.

3. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Where did the barge go down at?

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    A little past the bridge in Hopewell. I've been looking for information but it was only a blip on the news. Nothing online either. I know they were going to try to get it out before it leaks.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I like to think that barges (or boats/trucks) with this type of chemical have layers of protection in case of this type of event. We can all pray that there was no leakage!

6. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I understand the chemicals were in water tight barrels,and they are trying to recover the barge and chemicals without any spillage.