Barbless or not.....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Salmonid, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That is the question. Im a heavy duty trout guy ( yeah, were a kooky bunch, thats for sure) and there are plenty of studies showing that barbless hooks decrease mortality when used in releasing trout that are carefully handled. My question is "does Anyone use barbless hooks when catfishing"
    I thought I had read of a study or two done with farm raised cats where this was proven to increase the likelyhood of a full recovery. I do know that if deep hooked fish are line cut to leave the hooks in, that with the latest rustproof hooks, they stand very little chance of survival. So if your jug fising to release fish, make sure you use standard cheap hooks, ones that will rust out in a week or two.

Back to the point, do many of you use barbless hooks or pinch them down with pliers?

Salmonid

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have done all my fishing barbless for nearly 14 years. I have caught many catfish and cant say that I have lost one due to them throwing the hook. I have lost some with handling when I pull them out of the water. I have had hooks go through their skull plate and give the appearance of using them for bait. I have never caught blues, or flats, but carp, drum, bass, crappie, trout, perch, and gills have all been sucessfully landed. I really like barbless trebles as it makes releasing fish so much easier. I dont buy barbless, I just smash down the barb. Also makes removing hook from the human body, much, much easier.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    KSPOR, your line "Also makes removing hook from the human body, much, much easier."
    Is absolutely true, I am a flyfishing guide and several time I have had to pop out a size 22-24 tiny fly hook with a barb out of someones finger and every time, I can tell you.. Its not pleasant watching a grown man cry for his mommy....:p
    I cant imagine a size 8/0 in the thumb.....:crying:

Salmonid

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    A lot of time I go barbless when fishing over chum, lots of fish being caught so the barbless makes unhooking much easier. Most of the time my intent is to keep what I catch so I do keep the barbs on.

5. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I keep my circle hooks barbed but find that when I'm fishing trebles and punch bait ,crimping the barbs down helps a lot on removing them for safe releases.Darned near impossible to lose a fish with crimped down barbs on treble hooks.
    Crimped down small hooks while fishing for bait makes it easier and faster too.

BILL

6. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I have never tried barbless hooks. But it does sound like something to try. Does going barbless work on circles and kahl's?

7. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    I would never use a barbless hook for catfishing, catfish are not the little whimp fish that trout are,lol . I wouldnt wanna spend as much time waiting for a big bite as i do for it to get off because i crimped the barb down.

8. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Depends where you fish ie snags or open water

either way I use barbed hooks size 10/0 for my catfishing!

We very rarley loose fish and I think mouth damage stems from any weight used to present your bait.

In some uk carp waters barbless hooks have been banned as they have been found in some patterns to rip fishes mouths, doing more damage than good.

How many of you that use barbless hooks use chemically sharpened ones? as they are the worst culprits for bad hook holds.

In my carp fishing I crush the barp, using big hooks for the cats gives me good leverage on the eye to pop the barb.

I say use barbed hooks but be aware of how to unhook fish properly when using them.

Worst case scenario a hook costs a dollar, I would pay a dollar to cut a hook and release my catch if I were too unsure on unhooking the fish

food for thought, good post Salmonid, I had trout for dinner with spinach and mushroom ;)