Barbless hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by veryama1975, Feb 12, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I've never used barbless hooks before & I was wondering how much of a difference they make. What does everybody think about barbless hooks?

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont like them and dont use them,makes it easier for your fish to get off.I sometimes use hooks with double barbs,like the wisker sticker hooks.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Depends on how you fish, and in what state your in. Some states regulations require the use of a barbless hook for certain species of fish... as trout in some states. In Oklahoma, you must use a barbless hook if snagging for spoonbill catfish.

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i always crush the barb on my hooks. i started it when i would get fish that swallowed the hook. barbless hooks are easier to get out and if i still can't get it i'll cut the leader. as far as fish getting off of them? 2 things first if you keep constant pressure on the fish it won't get off and second use hooks with an upturned eye. with these hooks the pressured exerted on the hooks makes it bite deeper.

5. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Hey Mark,

When you say "use hooks with an upturned eye" do you mean "j" hooks or are you referring to circle hooks?

6. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I bought some of the Barb-less treble hooks several Months back. My wife and I tried them out and found that you MUST keep pressure on the line, or the fish has a tendency to get off.

I was Thankful for them when I got my line tangled up in my anchor rope and tried getting it unhooked. I ended up getting the hook thru the palm of my hand. Came right out without tearing up my hand.. The pain was a little extreme but went right back to fishing..lol

I think they are OK, but I probably will just use regular hooks and bend the barbs down.

7. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    veryama1975: both

i promise you'll wish you had a barbless hook when you get hooked. trust if you fish long enough it'll happen and don't say "it won't happen to me i'm careful" i said it and it still happened

8. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Sorry, I'm slow tonight. By "upturned" do you mean the ones where the eye is bent toward the point of the hook or do you mean the ones where the eye is bent "backward" away from the point?

9. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    bent away from the point like octopus or kahle hooks to name a couple.

10. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    With a barbless hook the hook goes in a lot easier
    As long as you keep a little pressure on the fish you shouldn't notice much difference. Thats the only way to flyfish for trout.

11. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I have used a few brands of hook that may as well be barbless. I like having a double barb if i can get it. I dont have much trouble getting hooks out of fish but then I barely set the hook ( used to fishing for crappie).

12. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    We have to use barbless hook for steelhead here in Washington State. Once you master the need to maintain line pressure, during the entire "fish-on" experience, they work just fine. Steelhead like to break water and that will test your ability. I end up fishing for most other species with barbless, pinching the barbs. The fish are much easier to release alive, if I want to. DH