Barbless hooks?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Sundance, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Sundance

Sundance New Member

State:
    Ohio
    does anyone out there use barbless hooks for cats?

I have the hardest time getting the hooks out of
    my fish. I do not want to tear up the fish just to release him but
    I often end up cutting the line and letting it go.

Any ideas?

Don.

2. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    I normally use barbles hooks when panfishing dur to it makes getting hook out easier. I have alos used them when fishing for eaters (sm channels) without any problem. Have lost good fish on barb & barbless hooks. If using barbless you can't allow any slack line for sure. Good luck on your fishing.

3. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    i use barbless for cat all the time. mostly with circle hooks and channels.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Never thought about it But then I have a hard enough time catching them with barbed hooks:big_smile:

5. ridgedog

ridgedog New Member

State:
    arkansas
    i never have tried barbless hooks, i was always scared i would hang a good one and lose it. but it is like fishinpals said, just keep the line tight and u should be alright.

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't really tried barbless hooks, but for bass fishing with small spinners I would sometimes smash the barb down to make it easier to take the hook out. I always catch and release, so I wasn't all that worried about loosing a fish.

I'll think about it for cats too. Seems like I can keep a pretty tight line on them, so barbless hooks should work.

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Im also curious on this topic Ive thought about it for a while. If anyone can add more input to the members that already have let us know what your hookup to loss ratio for barbless as opposed to barbs that way I get a clearer picture to make my decision

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bah... I forgot to mention that I almost never lost a fish when I was using barbless hooks. Catch rate was almost exactly the same as barbed hooks, at least once original hookup had happened.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you keep a tight line on the fish, once hooked, he's no more likely to throw the hook than one with a barb. I think that's especially true with circle hooks.

10. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    That's it - you nailed it. Keeping line tight even when using barb hooks is a good idea.

11. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I have to use barbless hooks at a lake I fish at. I like them because it's easy to remove them from the fish.

12. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Thanks for the info guys

13. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I use barbless hooks all the time for all my fishing and my catch rate hasnt changed any from when I used barbed hooks.

14. Blue Kayak

Blue Kayak New Member

State:
    MN
    I saw a catfishing video in Manitoba where barbless hooks are required. They had no problems landing large channel cats with barbless hooks.

For flatheads there is the challenge of keeping the lively bait on the hook. It might be possible to use a thick rubber band to hold large minnows on barbless hooks. I saw a picture of this in a pike and musky fishing book, but don't know if they were using barbless hooks. They cut about a one inch strip of the rubber band, put it on the hook, then put on the large sucker, and finally put the other end of the rubber band over the sucker and through the hook.

Jerry

15. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    i onlie use them for catching bait and just like

16. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    come to think about it.. that what i have rigged on my poles now... huh... didnt even think about that... So i guess my answer ie yes.... This post sure was good for me... I need to set all my poles up again and replace the line and everything else........