barbless hooks

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by katmax, Dec 13, 2009.

1. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    what do you think about useing barbless hooks...i know when i get on a good bream bed i bend the barb down on the hook so i can get the fish off faster...just wondering if it would effect the catch rate on a circle hook...i know that it wouldnt work with live bait....:roll_eyes:

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It will work with live bait.
    I fish barbless unless I am keeping fish.
    On a bream hole I always fish barbless.

3. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    i dont think it will hurt at all... i havent tried it ...just dont give the fish no slack..

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the point if fishing barbless in most cases is in releasing the fish unharmed and less stressed. with a circle hook they are designed to hook the fish in the corner of the mouth, so harming the fish is minimal to start. fishing barbless would add to the release of the fish, but with cats i find it not necessary. however i will cut my leader on any fish i cant get the hook out quickly. with in a few days the hook will fall out and the fish un harmed. your live bait will get off of your hook more often however if you bend the barb down. the point in the barb is to keep the hook from backing out, with out it the bait can back off the hook easier, along with your prey.