Barbless Hooks - Anyone use them

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kspor, Feb 13, 2006.

1. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Anyone out there fish barbless. I have been doing it for nearly 15 years and wouldnt go back. I dont think I loose any more fish and find the hooks dont tear holes in softmouthed fish. Let me know what you think.

2. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I use barbed for the carp but crush the barb down to leave a little bump. I have heard that some barbless hooks do tear mouths but I think it depends on the pattern.

The barbless hooks surprisingly are more expensive than the barbed in the uk and a majority of fisheries have banned fishermen from using barbed hooks.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont use them myself,in fact i fish with the strike king wisker stickers alot and they have two barbs.They are a pain to get out but once there hooked there not comming off.I know some folks here take needle nose pliers and bend the barb down on there hooks or remove them all together,i think its more about persenol prefrence and what works for you but i myself like the barbs.

4. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    when the fish are hitting hard and you want to unhook em fast to catch another, doesn't work if the are playing with the bait. catnip

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I tried using barbless, but i lost more fish than w/ the barbs. I find that w/ barbs i will rarely lose a fish from the hook pulling out, but w/ barbless I lost a few more.:sad:

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I have not used barbless but I think the way a blue cat twists and rolls they would cause you to lose them.

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    In Calif, we have to use barbless for salmon fishing! I use them occasionaly for stripers and cats!

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I guess I must be lucky. I have caught many different fish and seem to do very well. I dont buy barbless, I just crimp the barb down or grind it off with the dremel. I used to fight the cats tough mouth with getting barbs out of em. I like it too if a fish gets a deep hookset. I can get it out without tearing soft tissue.
    On a personal note the barbless come out of ones body much easier too. lol :crying:

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Never used them.

If I was fishing with anything but circle hook I probably would. Those circle hooks hardly ever, and I am talking maybe 1% of the time, hook anywhere down the throat of a catfish. All you have to do is roll the hook out.

With that said, it is a good argument to use barbless, and I may just give that a try.

Thanks for provoking the thought!!

10. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I agree in that a big fish might be able to throw that hook alot easier than with a barbed hook. I want every advantage I can get on these guys and I ain't giving none back.

11. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    At one of the ponds that i fish at a friends ranch. His dad the ranch owner only lets us fish with barbless hooks. His view on it is it does not tear the fish up as bad and if you miss one there are plenty more to catch. This goes for all the fish, catfish, bass, crappie, and bluegill.

12. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I use a barbless circle hook with cat trackers tube worms. Have not lost a fish yet while using the barbless. Lets you unhook them alot faster,re-dip the tube and get it back in the water.The channel cats I'm catching do alot of rolling on the surface and I've thought more than once that the hook was going to come out but it has not.

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    When I was a kid I was fishing for bullheads with a friend on the farm. We lost all our hooks to snags so we went and made some from coathangers. Of course there were no barbs, and we lost more than we pulled in. I think we might have kept about half of em if we had cane poles, but most of them just flopped around so much we couldn't keep them on.

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I wonder if they stay on a wisker hooked cats. I myself won't chance the barbless. I figure my releasing is fair enough, lol.

-Jim-

15. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I always crush the barb flat when I use circle hooks. I fish with rod and reel a lot both in fresh and salt water. I cannot say I have lost any fish as a result of using barbless hooks. Once they get on and you keep a tight line, that fish is caught. It makes it much easier to get the hook out and stresses the fish less. Catfishjon

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If I'm CPRing any kind of fish I'll mash the barbs down on the hook with pliers.
    The hooks are easier to get out, the fish spends less time out of the water, and it makes releasing without taking out of the water very quick.

I dont see any difference in number of fish lost if I do my part.
    You'll lose fish with barbs if you get behind on your reeling.

I guess you could compare it to bow hunting vs. rifle hunting. The challenge.

17. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It"s all personal:
    I don't catch just as many with or without a barb hal

18. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I crimp, unless Im out for food,or a big one.But for happy fishin Im a crimper. smokey

19. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    When I'm fishing for bait such as bream I smash the barb down. It seems like it's easier getting the hook out. I think as long as you keep pressure on the line, the fish can't get off.

20. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I was first introduced to barbless hooks in Manitoba, Canada where it is a law. I found that you lose almost no fish if reeled in correctly vs. using a barb. Once I learned this, I myself fish almost exclusively with a barbless catfish hook. I find it is so much easier to remove the hook and prevents any stress on the fish itself.

Fishing barbless is a great thing when planning to CPR.