Barbless hook fishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Goldenshinner, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

anyone try using barbless hooks be it circles or traditional? we were forced to use barbless hooks in manitobas ledgendary selkirk and pounded channels non-stop. never lost a single one to my recolection. some even argued that the lower profile of the barb being removed actualy aided in hookseting. i am currious if any one has experimented with success on flaties???

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh

I have no idea if they work on flats, but I do know that they work well on carp. Never lost one yet.

Tom

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Not on flatheads or other cats, but all of my flyfishing is barbless. Really doesn't seem to reduce the catch much if at all.

For circles it shouldn't matter - the barb doesn't have much to do with keeping circle hooks in - it's just their shape.

I might be worried about the bait getting off, though.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I was wondering the same thing Stephen. I see you guys say you haven't really lost any fish so that sounds kinda good to me. I'm gonna fish Sat night and I will rig all my poles barb less and will post my findings...if I even catch anything that is. I know one thing its prolly a lot easier to get a turtle unhooked.

5. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

style of hook might affect success also. as some circles are more turned in than others

6. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ok, Just recently I asked a bait shop owner about these type of hooks, These hooks yes barb less can loose fish if you let slack go in your line, So if you get a large Flat head in a snag you better have a different way to get him out then letting some slack go in the line and let him swim his way out. So all the barb does is keep the hook hooked, and harder to come out. So what I'd say is I wouldn't fish with these hooks just because the snags, You'd loose a lot of fish that way it seems to me

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    just get you some 80# power pro bbraid. that way if you get one tangled in a snag, you just pull the snag in with him. :big_smile: