Bar soap for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by jaycat, Jul 15, 2006.

1. jaycat

jaycat New Member

State:
    Waterloo ,NY
    has anyone ever heard of useing bar soap to catch cats?

2. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    Yes. The soaps that I have heard of being used is zote soap and ivory soap. It has something to do with the fact that it is a natural soap made of animal fat. I have never used zote soap but have used ivory soap and have had some luck with it. It should be used on a trot line instead of reel and rod because it is a very slow bite it takes a while to release the scent into the water. I personally take 3/4 cups of water and a 1/4 cup of bacon grease and heat it up after it gets hot I add a 1/4 cup of sugar and 4 bars of cut up ivory soap. continually stir it around until it becomes almost an oatmeal consitency, I then take a couple of bread pans place tin foil on the inside pour the melted soap mix you just made into the bread pan so it is about 1/2 in thick and let it cool back to its normal consistency. After it hardens cut it with a cheese slicer or a piece of fishing line because if you use a knife it will chunk pieces off instead of a nice cut. The bacon grease and sugar seem to add a little something to the mix when using it. As for that you could probably experiment with your own ingredients adding different smells. But remember it is best used on a trot line and from what I know you should not use it on a small pond or lake because the soap residue stays in the water and can eventually harm the fish but it is ok in the river and in big lakes. God Bless and Good Fishin

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Zote soap is soft enough to use just like it is. You can cut it wth a knife without it crumbling. I have very good luck with it just like it is, without adding anything to it. That's not to say that you might not have better luck adding something.

You are correct about using it on trot lines, but you can also use it on jugs and limb lines. Like you mentioned it is a very slow bite bait but it works very well in the waters that I fish. You cant complain about the cost either as it's less than a dollar a bar.

Things I like about Zote soap are:

very cheap bait
    very clean bait
    Turtles and Gar don't like it
    Catfish love it

What more can a man ask for, from a bait made from soap? Cut the bars up in chucks the same size, and you have enough from one bar, to bait two 25 hook trot lines.

I have caught eaters from 1.5# to 9# on this bait. This is the size fish I go for anyway, so this soap is a win win situation for me....

Just remember that not all baits work everywhere, what works in my waters might not work in your's...

4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I use about the same recipe as bud but on this next batch i'm going to add 9-10 drops of anise oil to see if that gets the scent going out faster.... You'll have good luck with that recipe.

5. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    the soap they sold at walmart never worked for me and i dought if bar soap will either. fish dont like lye

6. buckmasterben3

buckmasterben3 New Member

State:
    wv
    i made some soap bait like this. 1/2 cup of sugar and water and 4 bars of ivory. im going to try it tomorrow night ill post how i did with it

7. buckmasterben3

buckmasterben3 New Member

State:
    wv
    i had a few bites on it but they wouldnt take it i did catch 2 on chicken liver

8. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use a lot of Zote on jugs and trotlines. I catch only channel cat, and a few drum. No flatties, no blues. Ever. thats fishing darn near every weekend during spring, summer, and fall, for several years.

9. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Ask for Anise extract and not Anus extract.You will be amazed at the response you get.Anus = ass,so beware

10. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I'm going to have to take exception to the statement that turtles will not eat Zote soap. Mississippi River turtles love Zote soap. At least the ones in pool 26 do, I've been feeding them for a week now.:crazy:

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I carry a small gal. bucket used for ice cream with cold water and a small amount of "Basic H" soap, 1/2 teaspoon or so, for rinsing my hands after I bait up. ( I'm not a sissy, but it just makes the balogna sandwitch taste better.) I noticed that my strikes increased when the crawlers or whatever got a little wet in the process....thought it was just luck but it really seemed consistant. The Basic H is in all the health food stores as it is enviormentally safe and so mild it can be used for washing vegetables or really anything. Read the other posts and realized soap has a place in the cat hunters gear. Now I dunk my crawlers on purpose. There really is something about soap and the cats smell. I started using one pole with the soap crawler, and one without until I was sure. Soap crawler got the strike first every time. Thousands of taste buds and it likes the taste of soap.....God has a sense of humor! May try the other recipes. Anyway thanks. Was wondering if I was lucid and too timid to shoot my mouth off.