Baptistpreach's 1436 Monark Mod

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by baptistpreach, Jan 12, 2009.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Here's my boat mod journal, when she's done it'll be a catfish & crappie rig! Anyhow, I'm open to ideas, and hopefully if you want to do the same thing, you can get a few ideas from this!

The boat is a (I believe) 72 Monark. Nice boat that only had a small leak from where the bolts on the transom went in, which is nothing that some marine silicone won't fix

Attached Files:

2. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Next I built the frame for it, I wanted to have a main front and rear deck with storage hatches, and a good size livewell that could actually hold good numbers of fish.

Here is the front frame, I ended up adding the edge supports and putting a little more support under the middle of them.

Attached Files:

3. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I almost forgot! Before I built the deck I stripped the seats off the boat, washed it out at the carwash, and then used a spray on bedliner to paint the inside of it, here's the Before pics

Attached Files:

4. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    here's the after pics of the inside! Major improvement! I know black attracts heat, but I don't fish in the heat of the day anyhow, I'm planning on night fishing and early morning fishing, and it really improved the inside of the boat's appearance dramatically! This stuff has held on very well so far!

Attached Files:

5. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Then on to the rear deck, my livewell idea is a 22 gallon plastic tote, I got for 11 or 12$ at WalMart. Problem was using the ribs of the hull for the braces, it was a little too wide. So I just built a wooden brace to extend it a litle and then framed the rest in

Attached Files:

6. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    After that, I finished the rest of the rear frame, I'm using Simpson's Strong Tie's to attach the wood to the frame (sold at Home Depot)

Attached Files:

7. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Here's the rough cutout of what I'm doing on the rear deck. The idea is that there is a small door for the regular usage, and the whole thing half will be on hinges as well to take fish out at the end of the day or to put a monster in there! There is also the idea for tackle storage on the two drop down doors

Attached Files:

8. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    After that, I carpetted everything with my wife. Used marine carpet from Lowe's ($45 for a 16x6 section). I also used outdoor glue to attach it

Attached Files:

9. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Here's pics of the deck carpetted, but not attached. This is where I am currently at. I am going to finish painting the inside of the boat and run some of my electronics first before I attach everything.

Attached Files:

10. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Dave, You did a really nice job! Looks great! Catch any fish out of it yet?Thanks for the post, Tim

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    looks very good, i did something similar to my first pro-jon boat, the only mistake i made was i used 3/4 inch marine decking which added alot of weight, boat was very sturdy, but with the extra weight my 15 hp lost some speed

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    David thanks for sharing the pics of your boat project. You do good work. Looks great.

13. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Super job on the boat David! Congratulations and repps to ya' Brother.

14. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    To those who wondered if I've caught any fish out of it.... :smile2:

Yes, I took the whole family out (wife and 3 small kids). I didn't get to do much fishing, but I did troll a Shadrap and come up with this:wink:

I took a close one and here's a real one, it was one of the smallest crappie I'd ever seen!

I've caught a few other fish out of it, but that was before I started the mod, since I've started I haven't taken it out yet, other than to do a water stability test to see if it would work and where I wanted my seats

Attached Files:

15. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Wow! I can't believe I haven't posted on this in this long. I'm gonna have a one of a kind jon boat for sure! I got the boat on sawhorses, and painted it. Here's the pics of the original condition

Attached Files:

16. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Then I took a wire wheel on a drill and sanded the boat

Attached Files:

17. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    After that I primed it. I took a picture of what primer I used. Rustoleum bare metal primer - it was $4 a can, and it took 4 cans

I also washed down the hull and got all the paint dust and dirt off (which took a few times washing it down to get it clean!)

Attached Files:

18. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Then I brushed on the first coat. It has runs and there were spots you could see the primer still, but it went on! it went much better after I thinned the paint. It was just too thick, and once thinned, it was much better.

BUT, here she is! The first all black jon boat I've ever seen!!

Attached Files:

19. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    When I put the second coat on, what an amazing difference! See for yourself!

Attached Files:

20. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Next, I stripped the bunks and rollers off the trailer since I already had the boat off it. Now I'm sanding it, and my wife has the camera! It would have been painted already... but!! the wind has been real strong, and I don't have room in the barn for both trailer and boat right now, so I'm just waiting for the wind to lay down, and I'm planning on using a roller for the trailer and brush for the insides and crevices. I also picked up new hardware for the trailer since all the bolts were rusty and were a bear to get off! (seems like the hardest work I've done so far!:smile2:) Anyhow, I'm still debating whether or not to go black, or go with a maroon/deep red for the trailer. Any ideas?