Bannister Lake

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by 01 Mudslinger, Apr 20, 2007.

1. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    anybody close to south boston and ever fished Bannister Lake, i know it is around 400 acres and supposedly known for catfish. and there is no restriction on HP. Looking for some info on the fishing.

2. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    ive heard of it but never fished it. according to the state web info catfishing is good. let me know if you have any luck. i'm in roanoke and always looking to fish somewhere new.

4. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    I used to live in Halifax County,always bypassed it on the way to buggs. Said I would try it but never did.I hate to post this without having seen it,but my old fishing partner claims there were some trophy flatheads thrown in there. Caught some bait there so if you go be careful once you go above the powerlines,there are alot! of stumps. good luck if you try.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You all talking about the place that 501S goes over, and the dam is there to your left and a boat launch to the right? It's a lake? River? I thought the sign said river.

I drove by it yesterday on the way to Kerr. Wouldn't mind fishing it sometime. If any of you all go, please post a report.

6. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    Ya jpritch thats the place its just not real big.

7. Skiff1980

Skiff1980 Member

State:
    VA
    I used to catfish the Bannister when I was younger have never caught anything but small channel cats. I have never seen or heard anything about HP restrictions. You have a better chance to catch bigger blues or channel behind the damn you can see from 501. It's a little bit of a hike, buts it's usally good fishing.

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Never thought of going behind the dam, but those tailraces are typically pretty good fishing spots. If I'm ever in the mood for bank fishing, I'll give it a try.

9. Skiff1980

Skiff1980 Member

State:
    VA
    How did you end up doing on Kerr Lake? I saw on the other board you were coming. How did you do. Kerr is my home lake really the only place I have ever fished. If you have any questions or I can help just let me know.

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks Skiff.

I went out last Friday night around 8 and fished 'til about 1am. Launched at Occoneechee and fished the bridge and RR tressel areas and headed up to Bluestone and fished the mouth. Not even a bite. It was pretty cold and windy that night too. Using cut shad.

There was a guy on the Kerr site that had good luck that night in the back of Bluestone, said he was putting a blue in the boat about every half hour. I'm gonna go out this weekend when I get a chance, so I can redeem myself! Probably try Bluestone again, and the areas above it since that's where the best reports are coming from. If I get skunked again I'm gonna have to hook up with one of you natives so you all can teach me how to fish that lake!

11. Skiff1980

Skiff1980 Member

State:
    VA
    I fished last night in the Dan River. We caught two flatheads. The biggest was 23lbs. Had a lot more runs, but had some people that has never been fishing with us. We missed more than our share. The river is getting low, but the fishing is getting better.

Do you anchor or drift in the lake? I drift a lot early and late in the year on Kerr and have better luck with the blues. I don't catch them as big as I do when I'm anchor, but we catch a lot.

12. COBYSDAD

COBYSDAD New Member

State:
    SUTHERLIN, VIRGINIA
    Whats up Robbie, I see you caught that 36lber next to my 44lber hole. Justin talks alot, just kidding. I've been catching some nice blues up here next to Paces. But no size to the Flatheads yet. I've never caught any catfish out of Bannister, but I mainly fish for Crappie and bait. You should come up here with Justin and we shiuld be able to run the jet pretty easy around Milton.

13. Skiff1980

Skiff1980 Member

State:
    VA
    I would be glad to come up. I didn't know that where you caught the big until after I told Justin about mine. I went Sat. morning and had good luck down low. Caught a few channels and a 26 lb. Flat around the first island.

The water is getting very low down there. It was hard to get to the rock wall next to SoBo. Bait was hard to find.

Robbie