Bankpoles in small river

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by bankpoleken, Oct 4, 2005.

1. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    I ran 20 bankpoles last night and caught two channel cats - a 6 lb 8 oz and a 4 lb 10 oz. Was using Walmart shrimp for bait.

2. Butchy

Butchy New Member

State:
    Rock Falls, IL
    Does anybody know what rules there are for using bank poles in Illinois. The main thing I want to know is if there is a restriction on what materials you can use for the poles.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    in illinois the rules are this.

1 you can only use a total of 50 hooks.

2 all devices used by the angler that are not under the direct supervision of the angler must be tagged with the owners name ana address.

3 only two unsupervised untagged devices are permitted. in access of two all must be tagged.

4 if a device is attached to a tree it must only be attached to the main trunk below the waterline.

5 a sportfishing liscense permits anglers to use devices including bank pole and line,dipnet throw line,trot line, buoyed device (jug fishing) or other legal devices not excedding 50 hooks total.

hooks on trot and trolly and throw lines shal not be spaced less than 24' apart except on trolly or powerlines used in lake mich.

i see nothing on the materials that poles can be made of. hope this helps.

4. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Back when I bankpoled, I used 10-14 foot willows cut from a willow clump. I tied the line close to the bottom, ran line out to the tip and made another tie, and then left enough line to get the end in the water. I used 300# test twine, #9 J hooks, and either baited with leachs, minnows (they take alot of rebaiting), little bluegills, or cut bait. I used to catch a lot of flatheads and channels.

5. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    Butchy - We always used willows up to this year and now are using poles made of 2 inch PVC pipe. We cut the pipe from 5 to 7 feet in length. I really like the PVC pipe and you don't have to cut new poles every year. We took an eighteen pound flathead on a five foot pole and everything held up well. We are using 8/0 octopus circle hooks. I am sure there are many out there that don't see the sport in bankpoles. However, when you have a 20 pound plus flathead on the end of 4 feet of line it is quite the thrill.

6. Butchy

Butchy New Member

State:
    Rock Falls, IL
    Thanks alot that was a big help. My dad got some long fiber glass poles from work and I was thinking about using them, I like the pvc idea too.

I like the idea of using bankpoles, jugs, or trotlines to find fish and release them. Then go back with my rod and reel and catch them that way. I mainly fish lakes and I'm having a hard time finding flatheads.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i ran some this year once just to drink some beer and troll (and pull) the boat down the shallow creek here. we got 1 2#cat and 2 big snappers and 2 softshells. we added the turtle meat to the fish fry. lol.

8. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    Cats - I have been running 20 poles each time I go for the last four years and I have yet to catch a turtle. I would rather eat turtle than catfish. I usually bait with either bluegill or shrimp. You got any suggestions that might get me some turtle.

9. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    Try some chunks of carp just under the surface around snags or brush piles. Check out the turtle board thread in the turtle section that I posted a while back. They do work very well. Schoe

10. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    Schoe - Thanks for the info - I'll check out the turtle board

11. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    2 inch pvc? kinda big I use 3/4 in. about seven foot long drilled a hole close to the top and allowed enough line to reach the other end of the pole about a foot past the end...I found it hard to get them into the bank so I made a driver for them I took schedule 40 pvc (the thick stuff) 1 inch and 1/4 size I cut it at 5 and half foot long glued a tee connector on it so I could drive them into the bank I can set 20 poles in about half hour by myself it really works good hope this helps as for bait live bullheads

12. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    if ya got a freind who turkey hunts down south ask him to cut tou some bamboo this spring by the time the water is warm enough to wade the poles shuld be dry to use and they last years if stored in the garage during winter

13. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    Dave - ya caught me - that was a typo error - we use 1 inch PVC pipe. We drill 5 or 6 holes from the bottom tip of the pole and put the holes about two inches apart. We usually use three long nails and nail the pipe to trees that hang over the water or log jams. I never have tried pushing them into the bank.

14. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    lol I thought man 2 inch pipe thats big lol

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    we use creek chubs and cut bluegills on ours. this little creek is abundant with gar and turtles. prob why we get so many. try a big hunk of liver in brush piles. that may produce a few turtles.

16. chicagoriverking

chicagoriverking New Member

State:
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS

i have found a way to catch snappers cause i fish with skirt steak for catfish once in a while you will catch a snapper but i have always caught a turtle on boneless porkchops when i fish for turtles i usually catch 2-3 snappers the size of a sewer cap try it, it'll work guaranteed caught em in chicago river fox river and rock river even in ponds full of catfish maybe that could help you out.........

17. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    Chicagoriverking - Thanks for the advice on bait for the turtles. Right now the crappie are turning on in the reservoir and the rivers feeding into it. I will be hitting them hard from now until ice up and may even ice fish this year. I will give those pork chops a try next spring and summer. I will let you know how I do on them.