Bankline Baits

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by whuppinstix, Apr 29, 2009.

1. whuppinstix

whuppinstix New Member

State:
    kansas
    I am going to start banklines this weekend and this is my first full fledged bankline experience and am wondering what the best bait would be. I have about 10 8-10 in. bullheads but havent went out to catch anything else..?:confused2:

2. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I dont think you could get a better bait just hope your lines and hooks are strong enough.:smile2:

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would bait them with Bullheads or green sunfish. You can also use bluegils or small carp.

4. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    #1 carp, #2 bullheads, I only use other baits when I cant get either of those. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

5. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bullheads and any of the sunfish family would be my first choice for Flatheads.
    if you are going for channel cats , cut bait would be what I would use.

6. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    What he said..

7. byoung

byoung New Member

State:
    DeSoto, Kansas
    I like bullheads cause they are easy to keep and seem to work well, then greenies, carp or goldfish (in that order).
    Best of luck; I'm heading to catch bait next w/e. Hope this high water didn't washout all the snags.

8. whuppinstix

whuppinstix New Member

State:
    kansas
    I guess I am starting out with the right bait:roll_eyes: thanks for the info maybe i should go get a few more bullheads:wink:

9. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Get a few for me while your at. LOL:smile2:

10. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I have a pond thats only about 100 ft from my favorite fishing hole that has nothing but bullheads in it as near as I can tell.Unfortunately I cant get there until the river goes down some.

11. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I don't know if anyone posted this but we use salamanders. Anywhere 6in to 12in long hin the mouth or back.

12. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Right now, in alot of places bank for a bankline is hard to come by. The bank is a couple feet deep.:confused2: Anyone ever use drum? I caught a few today that was between 6 and 12 inches, and thought they might do some good, but don't remember hearing anyone say they had any luck with 'em. Are they a type of carp?

13. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Drum are nothing like carp,they're not bony and are real good eating.They also make good bait I've cleaned lots of flat heads that had drum in the gut.:smile2:

14. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    My experience is drum die quickly. You cant beat foot long carp or bullhead, I save the hand size greenies for the rods.

15. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    If you are after flatheads, the number one priority in my opinion, is that your bait is alive when Mr. shovelhead swims by! So I try to get bait that will stay alive longer when running banklines. when rod and reel fishing it is easy to tell if your bait has wilted and put a new lively one on when needed. I like bullheads and green sunfish for bank lines. haven't used carp.
    GOOD LUCK!
    larry

16. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Larry, I agree with you about the livelyness about the bait. Thats why I prefer carp. I have used just about everything that swims and the common carp stays active longer then anything. If you havent gave carp a try I recommend you do. Bullheads are 2nd in my book only because they dont stay as busy on the hook. Carp put serious vibration into the water.

17. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Cody,
    The biggest problem I have with carp is they are usually too big. Its difficult to find a supply of smaller sized ones around here.

18. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thats the main problem I run into. KDWP has a 12" length limit on live bait. I have caught 10 pound flattys on 12" carp. They are extremely hard to find sometimes. It has turned me into a good carp angler though.:roll_eyes:

19. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    They tend to run in loose groups sorted by size. I think the little ones would
    tend to stay inside of weed beds most of the time. If you bait them into an
    area to net them you'll find big ones showing up soon enough. Corn or
    little marshmallows are carp specific chum to bring them to a throw net.
    Chinese found submerging a square, flat net attached to a counterwieghted
    lifting arm to be the best system to net carp in good numbers. Of course,
    they liked to use cooked rice for chum. Probably because they didn't have
    sweetcorn to play with. Heck, stale bread ought to do well if you have a
    few loaves of that to work with.

20. whuppinstix

whuppinstix New Member

State:
    kansas
    this is very helpful,:wink: I do agree about the carp the bait ones are hard to find unless I go to the baitshop and those are useally about 3-4in :angry: