Bankfishing with Chum

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by skipjacks, Jan 29, 2010.

1. skipjacks

skipjacks New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Anyone use chum to bank fish? My uncle use to swear by it. He would chop up shad and put it in a burlap sack til it was near full with a rock in it. Tie it off then slice a few holes in it and put it out a little upstream so the scent would disperse downstream. He caught fish when others nearby had poor luck. For channels he would chop up dead chickens from his con agra commercial operation and sink them in a bag on Bull shoals. One night a fish ate the whole bag nearly capsizing the boat. But did he ever catch fish. I am thinking about trying the shad thing on the Arkansas river this summer with old freezer skips added for a little extra zip. Anyone try this before or just a plain old "chumpot"? Just checking for some input from you all.

2. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I bait my fishing spot ,using a minnow bucket,with fish heads and guts in it.

3. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use liver a lot. When it would get old, thin and stringy I would throw it away. Now I set the container in the freezer. This frozen chunk is kept in the ice chest until I get to the lake / pond. While I’m setting out my equipment I toss the frozen chunk out. Last summer in a pond the cats looked like submarines coming toward my fishing spot. I will use this method again.

4. BUDMEISER01

BUDMEISER01 Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Have done the same with mixed results.

5. Philippe

Philippe New Member

State:
    Pevely, Mo.
    In rivers i never bother. In some of the ponds and lakes i will bait some of the holes with cut up shad, chicken livers and gizzards. But i have found that if i fish these holes with dipbait i dont do too hot.

6. apantheon

apantheon New Member

State:
    CO
    Nope, it's illegal to chum in Colorado!!!

7. fubar4life2010

fubar4life2010 Official USCA Wookie

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Name:
    David
    I use sour maze!
    Just put some maze in a 5gal bucket,set it in the sun covered,after a few days of cookin,that maze will sour,and get to smellin real good.Then I take empty milk jugs,cut the top off,and fill with the sour maze and freeze(when souring maze fill 5gal bucket with water)after frozen,put block in cooler to keep froze.When you get to your favorite spot,take the maze block out of the container,and chunk it out in the water as far as you can throw it.As it melts the maze falls to the bottom.This will call the kitty's in,and as you dress them you will see that thier belly's are full of your maze!

Good luck!

Dano likes this.
  8. T-CountyMike

T-CountyMike New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I have had mixed results in rivers chuming, it just floats away of course. In lakes I will use a homemade doughball mix. This is not a doughball that would stay on a hook though. The mixture is mostly liver and shad ground up fine in a blender with other spices as well. I put it into a tight weave nylon bag atached to a rope and toss it out. I occasionaly pull it in and toss it to the same location to disperse the mixture. I fish with two rods and put my baits on either side of the bag. Seems to work pretty good but I have had just as much luck without the chum. I have also thrown out store bought doughballs to try to chum in a lake.

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas

What he said works good.
    Maze is the best. You can also use corn. Sour grain.
    Go to feed store and buy a bag
    I sour mine the same way. I also pour a can of beer in it. Just seems to sour a little better and faster. I got some in a bucket right now that has been there for months. Lid pops off now and then and man does it smell ripe. LOL

Before I sold my boat. I chum holes all the time. It always paid off for me.
    On the bank. I sometimes throw out a few scoops or tie a jug on rope and sling it out a little way. Works for me. Works better from a boat

10. Mopar Matt

Mopar Matt New Member

State:
    Kahoka, Missour
    I have a buddy that does custom butchering. I have him keep blood and liver and spleen. In lakes I use the blood i fill a milk jug with blood freeze it, pop holes in it, tie line to the handle, then tie up a floating jug to the top. This way I can recover the jug. I go out the day before and find the spot I want then pop it in the water. I come back a day later and I always catch my limit.

In the river I use the liver (hog and cow) and spleen(cow). Now, that spleen I will rough chop it just like the other stuff, but will let it stay out in the sun for 2 days or so. The Cajuns call it beef melt and gators love it. But I tell you this. put that stuff in a mesh bag with a line tied to it so you can recover it, with a pound of weight on the bottom, there is no manor of cat that can leave it alone. You will on occasion get one that takes off with the bag, missing your bait completely. Its easy to see your recovery float or your recovery line go nuts. I think that's part of the fun, play with mix add stuff take stuff away depending on availability. But, when you can get most of it for free why not.

try it and let me know what you add to it.
    P.S, what the heck is "maze"

[​IMG] Originally Posted by fubar4life2010 [​IMG]
    I use sour maze!
    Just put some maze in a 5gal bucket,set it in the sun covered,after a few days of cookin,that maze will sour,and get to smellin real good.Then I take empty milk jugs,cut the top off,and fill with the sour maze and freeze(when souring maze fill 5gal bucket with water)after frozen,put block in cooler to keep froze.When you get to your favorite spot,take the maze block out of the container,and chunk it out in the water as far as you can throw it.As it melts the maze falls to the bottom.This will call the kitty's in,and as you dress them you will see that thier belly's are full of your maze!

11. fubar4life2010

fubar4life2010 Official USCA Wookie

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Name:
    David
    Maze-Its what the Injuns called corn!

12. Mopar Matt

Mopar Matt New Member

State:
    Kahoka, Missour
    I see, thank you.
    You know I've heard story of guys doing that. I was about to try it once. had that corn just as rotten as the day is long... then the wife found it: Experiment canceled.

13. Fishsmoke

Fishsmoke New Member

State:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Which raises the question:

Is it possible to chum with the wife?:rolleyes1:

Take that however you want. :wink1:

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    have used whole kerrnel corn,soy beans,best best ive found is chicken scratch of chicken feed as some call it
    dont want it rotten i just want it smelling good.

15. CaptLeo

CaptLeo New Member

State:
    SC
    When I bank fish, I always take a bag of Magic Bait cube bait with me. I'll take a few chunks and toss them straight out in front of where I'm fishing. I then take a few more chunks and toss them at 45° angle between where I first threw and the bank on one side and then I do the same on the other side. Might be a waste, but when I do that, I always end up catching, so I figure it works for me.