Bank Winter Fishing

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by kmcalester, Nov 11, 2009.

1. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    How many of you guys are tuff enuff?:big_smile: What baits,depth, etc are you using?

2. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Oh yeah defidently tough enough. I fish with an assortment of baits. Generally i use whole baby shad (frozen) or cut bait thats extremely small...size of a quarter maybe...and could be any depth....usually i start deeper and move my way in and just try it all and see whats working and whats not. I would like to try to get out more this year than i did last for winter channelcatting. I am excited to see the information this post yields.

3. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, I'm tuff enuff, too. I usually fish around steam plants. I can take 30 and 40 degree weather much better than 90 degree weather.

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I havent fished for cats much in the winter when it was in a cold environment. In Texas I did but it was still 50-60 degrees in the winter but I have fished on the Mississippi River in Rock Island Illinois in 20/30 degree weather, all I caught were white bass and they felt like blocks of ice when I grabbed them to take them off the hook. I could only fish 2 hours as Ice kept forming in my eys on my rods so I had to quit. But I plan on fishing in Va no matter how cold it gets. My buddy, who's a guide here says he fished in 4 degree weather here and caught numerous fish between 50-70lbs so im ready this winter. Im like Festus I'd rather fish in 30 degrees than 90, I hate heat if it was 60-70 year round I would be happy

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Just dip them rods in the water when the eyes freeze up. That'll thaw them out. :wink:

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I fish year around, we fish with smaller baits as the water gets colder then when the lakes and rivers freeze over we drill a hole in the ice and fish through that,fish are slow and lethargic but will still bite,the colder the water the stinkier the bait you need for it to carry any distance,when spring rolls around and the ice starts melting we fish the ice/water edge as the cats will be there feeding on winterkill baitfish that were frozen in the ice and melt free and flutter down. tough nah,just how things are,coldest I have fished is about 20 below 0,but the wind chill was about -80 and bitter cold. breath freezes on your face and any facial hair will turn into a solid block of ice from the moisture in your breath as you exhale.

7. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    thanks for that tip, I was a bass fisherman then, throwing rapalas and jigs, but im sure that tip will come in handy this winter

8. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    you are a bold man and get all props from me sir

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thats what I do while crappie fishing in the winter.

10. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'd rather fish when it's colder ,,less pressure from everybody that's not tough enough. I catch my biggest channels of the year in cold water, and they are easy to locate after they drain the lakes down some. ( If the lake doesn't have a big area of deep water, ) Small bait ,,still use the surf rods,,,11 ft,, down size the circle hooks,,,set out my bank pole holders,,loosen drag enough so they will set hook themselfs with reel engaged.. no clickers in cold water they will drop the bait every time.
    I just caught 2 channels today that were pushing 10 lbs,, not the biggest of the year yet,,,I hope.

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I will fish nights all winter long. My coldest day last year was 17F and windy but the blue cat bite is the best. I actually don't change anything other than using less live bait. I do well all year using small cut baits for both blues and flats.

I fish bank fish creeks off the main lake so all winter the coves and creeks are slap full of herring and threadfins..this is good for me and where I fish. The Stripers moving this time of year is fun too....I found a 24# a few weeks ago ; )

Even though I consider myself a full blown night catman, winter does give me the chance to find some during the day if I can make it out here during daylight hours. The daytime summer bite here is about useless.

One thing I do different than most is fish shallow. I caught many fish from 20-33# last winter at night in 5' of water; ) Most guys tend to fish deep holes only and IMO they may be missing out on a few nice fish.

12. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    lmao tough enough only if you got a blankie,sleeping bag,fire with me cutting wood and my personal fav. ur fav fishing gal you rember the blk and white 1 lol no yall dave dose good in the cold he just sleeps to much is all

13. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah sorry i guess i need a fire and a blanky to stay warm but in my defense i dont need a big hairy guy to keep me warm either....like u do will...remember your morning of brotherly love?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  14. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Dave you wait till sat i think i have ur pay back all figured out :wink: lol

15. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats fine will...Im ready for it...pretty sure there is nothing you can do to me to get me back appropriately for me providing proof of your close boc relationships lol...Im pretty exciting about slaying channels...i hope my small hairy friend is still there to snuggle with me tonight!

16. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Years back, me and a couple of the crew discovered winter fishing after a late into the night January beer fest.

Next morning the house was too warm and too small for the throbbing heads so we hit the lake right down the road for some hair of the dog and a good bonfire. No sense going to the lake without rods so,,,,,

To our surprise, we caught several real nice channels. Cabin Fever,, kiss my tush!

A while later we got the hang of what weather conditions Catfish could be picked up, and discovered that the Crappie are most always ready to bite. Sometimes in weather that makes me doubt my own sanity for being out there.

Every little bit, things fall into place just right and a few Bass can also be had.
    And of course, trout like it cold too.

'Bout the only thing that stops me anymore is ice. We don't often get it thick enough even for crazy people to be out on.

Hot time where I do most of my winter fishing is a rain or thaw to bring the water up a foot or so above winter pool, followed by a couple days of sun to warm the shallows. Toss in a wind toward that side of the lake, and you can be too busy to feel the cold. :big_smile:

17. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i love winter fishing! not sure if its me being tough or a tad bit on the crazy side either way i am out there. when its cold enough to be calling it winter is when i change my baits up. normally i would use cut shad and the heads of shad. but in the cold in my area at least nothin beats shad guts fresh and a couple times frozen guts. had those busy days when i didnt notice the cold and also size down my hooks but still a circle hook. and dress warm!!!

18. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    When I used to drink the cold didn't bother me. Thanks diabetes!!!! Now I'm a big 'ol puss :smile2:

19. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    tuff enough bank fishn can be tuff in the winter but has one plus you can build a fire I enjoy bank fishn year round with a nice fire an some buddys to hang out with

20. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    this is my first year fishing winter and i have not caught a fish in 8 trips. :eek:oooh: I think i have tried it all but still not luck. I have not fished at night and i guess tring a beer bonfire type night might be on the list next. :wink: