Bank vs Boat

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Blacky, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I don't know how this got started, but have at it fellas!:cool2::smile2::angry:

2. :big_smile:

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i fish the bank mostly but Justin got me out on his boats and it opens up a lot of spots i could not get to before. around here bank spots are limited and 95 percent of the bank is straight up and down like a sheer cliff. my bank spots do pay off but the boat does put you into prime water you would other wise not get to.

4. Good, next time out round up a few 30+ for the boaters bro.:wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2009
  5. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

You cant beat fishing out of the back of the boat. It's just like fishing from the bank but you reel the lines in and move. Then recast and your ready to go. Plus I feel more comfortable in the boat at night. No Bear,snake or rapist is gonna sneak up behind you at night :big_smile:

6. So true, the main reason for this experiment is to see if the hogs the bank guys get can be done/beat on a boat, if the boat is a real advantage. Pappycat did a great job of that this year. I haven't nailed any Flats to the deck over 30 yet, but I know they are where I run, and I just started targeting Flats this year. Had to learn a few things and get some equipment together, I know next year will be a lot different for me. Hell, I'm going to start trying this month. I know there are a few hogs where I fish right now that might be coaxed into getting hooked, like the S-man crew are doing out in Ohio right now. Just got to get my hands on some friggin baitfish. I am unprepared for this late fall hunt.:embarassed: There is a lot of minnows all over the boat ramp, but they are too small. I'll look around this weekend with the kiddies and hopefully round up some morsels for next week.:confused2:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2009
  7. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

What bait you looking for? If your after bluegills your going to have to try hard for them now. I'd recommend using a bobber with a tiny jig with a waxy in ponds or lakes. If you cant get any perch or bluegills in the ponds or lakes. check the creeks out for trout and large shiners. use either tiny pieces of red worms if no luck try whole red worms. if nothing on that try some spinners. ALSO dont forget about them suckers! I always see them in schools in the creeks around my house and can NEVER catch them. I'm going to get my walleye rod with a big trebel and snag them if I cant catch them. If you cant get anything like that try throwing plugs in the river and catch some smallies and cut them up for cut bait. good luck with the bait now. Its really hard to get bait this time of the year. The way it is now fishin the lakes and creeks is exactly the way it is in the early spring till like the end of march.

8. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    suckers will bite worms and mealworms. Ive even caught great bait sized carp on worms in my local creeks. (10-15inches)

9. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    Right now I would say bank because I have no boat but lookout once I get one a whole new world of fishing is gonna open up for me. There too is not many good bank spots in my area.

10. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

I'll use red worms and night crawlers. I throw it at them and they dont even touch it. I'll go on the bridge and look down into the creek and look at the water for like 30 seconds and ill see like 40-50 right where I was fishing. :eek:oooh:

11. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Boat fishing adds a certain amount of stealth to the equation of getting "there" undetected. Motors going, tackle boxes being banged around, the sound of people moving around and talking all factor into the equation of needing more stealth to get to an area undetected by the fish. Did I mention anchor noise? :wink:

Ray

12. Excellent points Ray. Even with two anchors that boat will still move around a little. Some times I will beach the boat right up on the bank and fish off the back. So it's kind of like bank fishing, just drivng there instead of walking.:big_smile:

Sure aint nothing better though than seeing that hog swimming around the boat, fighting, running for the prop and anchor lines, then holding in a circle pattern 6 foot under the boat for 5 minutes, now that's a good time! I would love to see the Law out here with a green 40+ lbr on the hook.:smile2::wink:

13. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    i prefer the boat... i like being able to move to more productive areas when i need to. The susquehanna is wide and hard to get to good areas from the bank. I like the feeling of being away from the critters at night too

14. I believe that pic in your avatar is a 40+ lber, right hoss?:roll_eyes: That was off a boat.:cool2:

15. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    haha yes sir it was. i woulda needed to cast about 200 yards if i was on the bank lol

16. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Well since I am the hyper type and tend not to sit and watch one pole all day I would say bank. Because ya can fish the top for bass, and catch skips, and shad, all the while one pole on the botton for cats and one floating 10 foot down for cats.........Multi tasking....Not restricted to a boat area. You got as far as ya can run on the bank!:wink:

17. Good s**t there bro. You Central and Western PA boaters put up your share of 30+ flats. It's time to get the 2 or 3 SE PA boaters in here to step up and represent some also, myself included.:embarassed::smile2::eek:oooh:

18. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Hey NTP. If you get a #30 from the bank, you should count it as a bank point cause you weren't in the boat. I am tryin to get my hands on a small boat now so I can just throw it in and shoot across the river to the other side and fish the bank. I would still consider myself a bank fisherman causse I would be set up on the bank. A canoe would be sweet cause you could drift up quietly. Last year me and a buddy got #40+ Flats from the bank. I am going to try alot of new water next year so I don't know how I am going to do.

19. I said, I beach the boat, spin my lazy arse around and fish off the back of it, THATS ON THE BOAT.:smile2::wink:

And the water taxi is a phone call away hoss. Cost ya 5 sunnies.:cool2:

20. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    :smile2::smile2: I actually started to laugh when I read that, good one NPT.