Bank sinkers

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by adamj, Jun 28, 2008.

1. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    How are the flat bank sinkers compared to the regular ones. I'm looking at getting either 10 or 12oz molds for heavy current. The heaviest i'm throwing now is 8oz regulars. Do the flats hold the bottom better?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I haved used both and dont see much of a difference

3. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Short of putting wire anchors on the dang things, I do not see how to hold in heavy current, except by adding weight or reducing the size (drag) of the bait. I am going to try making some rigs with a bank sinker and stacked eggs on top in different weight totals. I will use a clip type swivel and accept any losses from getting hung up. I'll let you know if they work and how well. Hey that sliding thing from team catfish might be just the thing here...hmmmmmm.:big_smile:

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use flat banks and dont see much of a difference. If any, they hold better. but, not really any comparable difference. Ronnie, if you stack egg sinkers on top of bank sinkers 9 times out of 10 they will come back in tangled. especially with live bait. if you hook a large fish with your weights tangled, it's almost sure to break off. use larger single weights instead of multiples...

5. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    There isnt much if any differance betwen the two

6. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    THANKS FOR THE INFO. IF THERE ISN'T MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE I'LL PROBABLY STICK WITH THE REGULARS. DO-IT OFFERS MOLDS ALL THE WAY UP TO 24OZ IN THE REGULAR BANK SINKERS, HAS ANYONE THROWN SINKERS THIS HEAVY?

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I will have to dissagree on the differences.
    Yes even flat no-roll bank sinkers will give in heavy current but, an 8oz no-roll bank sinker will do the same job that a 12oz regular bank sinker will, thus giving you less weight doing the same thing. They are designed to let water flow over them whereas a regular one will catch allot of resitance and move easier.
    Less weight means less cost in the long run to do the same job.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    But...

the water on the sinker is only part of the problem. Line and trash drag is the real culprit.

I just went through this little drill, and for me, fishing from the bank cross current, the spider style sinker is all that will really stick, and then, not always.

Fishing down current from a boat will probably require a different approach. Size matters.:wink:

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The same principal applies to both sittuations. The line still has a curve in it either way. Also it has the same chances of catching debris in the current.
    Why use a 12oz bank sinker when an 8oz no-roll bank sinker will do the same job??