Bank Sinkers Too Large For Your Sinker Slide?..... TRY THIS

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by H2O Mellon, Jan 27, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like using bank sinkers becasue they are so easy to make. I also really like using sinker slides (aka: Fish Finders) onmy rigs. A big proble is that any kind of bank sinker (reg bank or flat banks) over 3 oz usually are too big for a sinker slide. I bought a 21 piece bag of wire ties @ Wallyworld for 90 cents. My problem is now solved. See Pic Below.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Alos you could just put your sinker on your line and forget about the slide, like I do;)

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just like you..... Taking the easy way out. ;)

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    so the 3 oz weights are too heavy for the plastic sinker slides??? i never had that problem then again i only used them when i was fishing for sharks at N.C

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    NO, not too heavy. The holes in the sinkers (bank) over 3 oz are too large for the slide to connect to.

This way the slide connects to the wire tie, enabling you to use large bank sinkers while still using the slides. I've used up to 10 oz on some of the slides.

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    oh ok i misread your message, now i understand

7. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I use big crosslock snap clips like the end of a snap swivel they are cheap and will hold a 10 oz. bank sinker. The main advantage for me is I can change weight as the tide changes and I can take the sinker off when running my boat, a big weight on the line bouncing around can make a heck of a tangle.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have some slides that use those same cross locks, but cant find them big enough (wide enough) to hold a 5oz bank sinker. (sometimes I can get a 4 to lock, but not very often)

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    It would just as easy to put and swivel with a snap on the line just above a swivel, then you can put any size sinker you want. Just tie a loop of line to the sinker and clip it in the snap, or just clip the sinker to the snap.

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I did think about a swivel to a swivel, but decided that it was too much to hang around & sway once I had it on the line.

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mellon what size slides are you using? I have size 16 south bend ,I can get two 5oz sinkers on easy and a third if I redo the bend alittle. I have a number for a guy that sells them for 59 cents a 2 pack. They are different than the ones in cat connect. I found them in plymouth mass. when I visited my In-laws.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    SMan, Could you PM me his number? Thanks alot for the info!

13. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Myelf ive never used 5 oz of weight but the sliders I do have can hold 2 -1.5 sinkers on it easy, but that is a good cheap idea

14. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I like Mellon's idea and will use it ( Thanks). It's a simple solution that will reduce the amount of goodies in your tackle box. One slide for all. I prefer the "Kiss" principle and this is an excellent solution. :thumbsup:

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is a better picture of the sinker slides I was using.

16. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    thanks for showing that Last Pic. H20 Mellon. That helped me understand better. And I'm sure others may have been wondering also.
    Thanks
    Larry

17. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I've used those slides on the left but they were black and pretty big. Got them from Cabelas. Bryan, this is bound for the library if you haven't already posted it there. Thanks for the great info.

18. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I'm with Desperado on this one. I use snaps above my main swivel, then tie a loop on my sinkers and just snap on which ever one I want.