bank sinker vs flat bank sinker

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i am looking into buying some sinker molds, i have a friend/BOC brother that does this and although he is very kind in giving me some sinkers when ever i need them, i was thinking of making some of my own as i like crafty things like that especially in the winter when i dont have much else to do. so i have decided that No-Roles are a must, and that i need to have some kind of bank sinker mold. i found the Flat Bank and regular Bank sinkers along with many other kinds of similar sinkers out there. i know that i dont want to deal with the brass pins so that narrows down my options to start. so i have slimmed down my options to the two below, however i am open to all suggestions as long as they include some of their advantages over the said sinkers below. so here is my question:

What are the major advantages to a flat bank sinker vs an normal bank sinker? is there really a difference?

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    here is a picture of the two incase the name i am using is different from what you would recall them as being.

Attached Files:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    After going to sinker slides me and a friend re-melted all my no-rolls down and made flat bank sinkers. They seem to stay in place well. I'm somewhat new to sinker making myself but it is alot of fun. Last spring Medford hosted a sinker party and i got to meet several BOC folks, learned a ton of stuff and thats not to mention all the great food. Try it, you'll like it.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    go with the flat bank the round bank sinkers will roll in curent the flat bank wont

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use both. In the lake I use the regular bank sinkers, they seem to work better with the sinker slide ( for me ). When I fish below the dam I use the flat one if I want the bait to stay in one spot. I use the regular one if I want the bait to drift.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    depending on the current in the water you are fishing . strong current will roll both of those , unless you get into big ounces . Out of the 2 I would go with the flat

7. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I switched over to the bank sinker. I chose that because I am a bit of a lazy person, even whne it comes to fishing. No unnecessary steps, if I can find a different way.

The bank sinkers have that large hole, so I do worry about putting on beads or anything, to protect the knot. They seem to work for every need that I have.

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bank sinkers 90% of the time in 2 to 8 ounces. I do have a no-roll inline 3 to 5 ounces I pour to and use for fishen shallow sand flats with current. But the normal lead eye 6 side bank sinker is the norm for me.

9. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey Troy,

Off topic, but holy cow!!!!! thats a monster cat you have in your avatar. What did you go down to the amazon or somewhere to get that brute?!?