Bank Scam

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jason berry, Feb 25, 2009.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Received a text message and so did my parents and sister and alot of other people in town that said your cradit card has been locked and you need to call this number and from the news it said you would get an animated voice asking for your credit card number and pin. It was traced back to Canada but there still investigating. Ive heard alot about scams or phishing but never had it happen to me. Its pretty wild, need to be careful because its only going to get worse.

2. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Ironic your sig has "phish man" scamming yourself?..lol But seriously I've had a few calls from a 909 area code which is in canada, I simply don't answer calls I don't regonize.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    They had a clip on the local news the other evenin,They said that numbers containing 909 and a few more were charging as much as 2000$ IF you answered them,Thats a heck of a scam.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I got a call from a young lady wanting to verify my magazine subscriptions. Only mag I get is the National VFW magazine. I was polite to her, after all she is just wanting to earn her minimum wage. Well, after chit-chatting for a few minutes she asked if I would speak to her manager...you know, standard stuff. Well her manager got on and about the second thing she wanted was the expiration date of my credit card, the number on back of the card and my account number. I said something like look lady, you gotta be crazier than a bed bug to ask for that as I only have one magazine delivered to my residence and its from the VFW. You have no need for my credit card information. And then, I'm sorry to say, I was impolite and slammed my phone down. The nerve of some people.

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Speakin about scams, I know a couple people who get calls from someone who identifies himself as some kind of national police officer or collection agency and God cannot help you now. Then tries to get them to pay money for something. has to be by paypal or something, it can be wired to someplace, but can be picked up anywhere. Uses different phone numbers, and area codes don't match location. Threatens to ruin credit, court, jail etc. He is a scammer.

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Yes you got to watch out for those type of people we get calll's alot like that... i told my mom never give OUT ANY INFORMATION to those people they target alot of the older folk's who really don't no better.

7. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    NEVER give your password to anyone, bottom line, because your bank, your CC company, whatever reputable company you are dealing with will NOT ask you for it. I've never had them ask for my SS either, some might ask for the last 4 numbers to verify it's you, they won't ask for the whole number.

If they are asking for SS, PIN or Password, it's a scam of some sort.

Your institution can go through the motions and get you another card with new password or PIN if you lose a card or something, but they will never ask you what yours is, so if someone is asking hang up!

People around here are getting huge checks in the mail that these people want you to deposit and then call them back with account info at your bank, and then they get in your account and clean it out. You don't get something for nothing. 2 Friends of ours got those, and one of them cashed his, the bank checked it showed to be good, but by the time it went through his account it was not good and they had to give the bank all that money back, and had spent a great deal of it.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They get just 30 seconds to a minute of my time before I hang up,providing I even answer cause the majority of the time if I don't know who's calling,I don't answer!

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    After reading and posting in this thread yesterday, I almost swallowed my tounge this morning. Went to my on-line checking account to see if my daughters federal refund had been posted in my account. Nope, but there was a withdrawal there for 700.00 I didn't make. Immediately called the bank, they checked it out, and told me they had mistakenly debited my account for a cash withdrawal of my ex-wife. I know she wouldn't do that on purpose and the cashier admitted it was her mistake. But it sure do make the heart beat faster.