Bank Rods in VA?

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Dallison, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I notice fishing on the bank there are alot of people that fish with at least 12' rods. I know in Virginia they fish saltwater and need to cast out past the breakers ect... but they also fish the bank of the James the same way. They will always say "you need to get it in the channel" I can't cast near as far as they can maybe half the distance. I never see them catch a fish yet I don't either. So my question is what type of rods do people use on the bank fishing?

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    most of my cat rods are 7 or 8 ft. i use them on the bank and boat. the longer rods do give a little more casting distance, but i really like the way a 7 or 8 ft handles.
    chip

3. ladyjack7

ladyjack7 New Member

State:
    Chester, VA
    Same as riverdawg here. I prefer an 8 Ft. rod on the bank as well. It can handle a little more torque without stessing out like some shorter rods. As always, it also depends on what bank you fish and where the fish are in their feeding cycles....weather, current, and available bait fish. I don't think it to be a matter of right or wrong, just personal preference.

4. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    i use 7 ft rods mostly from a boat but if i was bank fishing a lot i would probably use at least one open face reel on a 9ft+ rod to try and reach the channel with. the biguns will travel the channels at differant times during tide change. my biggest fish came from 3 ft of water lol. seems when you are in a boat you fish the banks and when you are on the bank you try to reach the channels. guess the grass is greener on the other side after all huh. have fun with it and good luck to everyone.

5. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like using an 8 ft rod it will handle most anything I will catch on the Colonial parkway

6. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Below the dam at Kerr lake, they use 10 -14ft fibergass or graphite custom rods with 4 HUGE eyes on them. I have never seen anything cast farther than the graphite rods, 100yds is nothing with 2ounces. They mostly use them for stripers. The glass rods I've seen stop 30plus blues while the water is rippin. It might be worth the trip just to see these rods chuck a jig or cutbait and ask anyone there where to get 1.

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC, Daniel! :0a25: