Bank rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Ol Man, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've seen it in these forums about using 10'-14' rods for bank fishing. Where are those rods available and which brand would be the best investment..? I remember as a youngster, using 12' bamboo poles...
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    You Might Be an Engineer If... You have more toys than your kids.

2. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i got mine at bass pro or try cabellas ugly stick is the only way to go for the money i do recommend if you go over 12 ft get a 3 piece unless you have a long bed truck i have a 15 ft. way to long for a rav 4 but i get it in there

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am to much of a cheapskate to purchase at the stores mentioned above. I have got two 16' 3 piece sectional poles from Academy at $35.00 each, and I have ordered and received another 16' from e-bay. The rod cost $17.00 and the shipping was 7.00 for a total of $24.00. Don't know if I would recommend you shop this way or not... but that is the way I do it. LOL

4. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i think i would try the basspro catmaxx rod in 11 foot.im gonna get me one as soon as possible(well after i get my 9 foot catmaxx:cool2: ) i have heard good things about these rods and the 11 footer should give u all the casting distance u need.

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I've got a shimano spinning rod 9 foot 2-piece rod from Academy for 15 dollars. It works great...I can throw a 5 inch mullet with a 1oz weight about 130 feet...all the way across the river....

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks guys, for all the info... sure gives me lots of choices...:cool2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    You may delay, but time will not.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What are you going to use them for?I have a assortment of 10 10ft. to 20ft,telescopic poles with reel seats and guides.Rated for up to 25lb.line.Brands are B&M,Zebco,Hi-Tech shooting Star and Wally Marshall.Purchased from Cabela's,Bass Pro and Catfish Connection.All seem to work best with spinning reels,but are Ok-ed by sellers and manufactures to work with casting and trolling reels.I called and asked.Hi-Tech shooting Stars and the Cabela's seem to be the heaviest built and have the largest reel seat.I have two very old surf rods.A 10ft.Zebco Horizon 2 piece,and a 14ft.Daiwa (I think) as very little lettering are left on them.Both work as good as when new though they look rough from a lot of heavy saltwater use.Both are spinning and were used with Daiwa 7000C reels.I always wash my gear after use and store inside.Most all of my gear spent my 3 day long weekends exposed along with me in my boats.So far all has been A-Ok.Some of the newer has not got near the use of the older due to illness.I also found that a rod and reel bag pays for itself if you keep your x-tra gear in it instead of exposed to the weathering of the sun.peewee-williams

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Basically, for bank fishing the river. One place I used to frequent was a hydroelectric plant...
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    If the world were a logical place, men would ride side-saddle. ~~Rita Mae Brown.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    One of the useful things about long poles is.When in a area with a lot of snags,Hold the pole high and reel in fast when you can.A high speed reel helps.You will have a lot less hangups,lost rigs and fish.peewee-williams

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Jeb I have two 12 footers. I have not used these at the lake but I have used them surf fishing and they both handle well. One is a Beefstick and the other is a power-tip. I got both from Harlee-rods of New Jersey, very cheap even after shipping cost they were less expensive than local stores.