Bank rod holder (?)

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by GETHOOKED, Oct 26, 2006.

1. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I have a boat and use it ALWAYS, but currently there has been a HUGE river bite where it is bank fishing only. So my delima is how do you secure your rod on bank from a 50lber taken it in with him? I have seen and researched bank holders, but these seem to be for typicall bank fishing for SMALLER fish, not the size or strength of fish that I am after. Is there any BOC brother that has perfected this technique or know of a site to research such a item. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. :confused2:

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use a baitcasting reel with casting button pressed and the bait alarm engaged. They sometimes will rip line reel fast but I have never lost a pole.

3. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    when i bank fish i use a rod holder my dad bought when he was in texas he saw several other people using them on the beach he was fishing basically it has a spike on the end that can be drove in the ground three foot it has two rod holders on it and even a cup holder built in it i can not tell you a name or how to get one but try and find info on people fishing off beaches and you might find what you are looking for have had a 40 pounder on and rod holder never moved i would post a pic but have no idea how to do it

4. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use 5/8 in. fiberglass rod stock with an epoxy coating. Buy them at my local tackle shop. I've never had any problem shovin' them in the mud or wedging them in root balls. I also fish the missouri river with rod & reel. There I just find a good crack in a rock or the levy. Happy fishing.

5. beeverfishing

beeverfishing New Member

State:
    pa
    Most all of my cat fishing is done from shore. Depending on where I'm at determines what I use as a pole holder. One area has many large rocks, it is usually pretty easy to find a few crevices that will hold the pole secure. When fishing from other areas, I have used holders made from rebar. These are rather easy to pound into the ground deep enough to hold a rod secure.

6. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I am looking for a SAFE way to secure my rods while bank fishing. On my boat of course I have rod holders, but while on bank, (expecially az banks with the rocks) how do you secure your poles while the big ol flatties steadily pull on it. Even if you are free-lining with my favorite (clicker), how do you keep the flatties from running off with the bait and the pole? ANy pics or web-sites with pics?:smile2:

7. askins00

askins00 New Member

State:
    California
    I make my own pole holders from a metal stake a 2" pvc couplink and a 1.5" carrage bolt. These things may bend with a fatty but they wont break. I can email you a picture of what it looks like.

8. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I've never had a problem with a pole going into the water. Even with 50 pounds plus on a tightlined circle hook, I just have it in a crappy little 97Cent south bend pole holder you can buy at walmart. I just grab it as soon as the pole stays doubled over, and set the drag so that he can't rip it out of the ground. While I'm sleeping though, I at least tie the rod to a rock or something, so that if I do get it ripped out, I can get it all back. Otherwise, a pole on free spool with a baitclicker isn't likely to get ripped out of it's holder.

9. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i just use PVC pipe thats bout 2 feet long with a angle cut at one end hammer them into the ground and just stick the end of the rods in them never had one pull out, cheap and easy to make

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Attach pvc to your cooler for rod holders.

11. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Many of the rod holders in the library will work great. I make my own out of 1/2" round bar. 14" from the bottom I weld a small 4" piece of angle iron so I can step on it and push it into the ground. They stand about 3' above the ground and I bend the top about 20 degrees. I then weld a 6" piece of 1-1/4" pipe to the round bar so the rod handle can be inserted. You could also use this and modify it to hold 2 rods. I prefer just 1 per holder.

If you lose any rods with this setup or most the ones in the library....
    YOUR DRAG IS WAY TOO TIGHT..........