Bank rod holder ideas

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Romo, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Romo

Romo New Member

State:
    PA
    I use big, thick glass conventional rods when I'm catfishin on the skuke and would love to have rodholders that can hold my rods at 45 degrees or even parallel to the water. I've seen store-made versions that would work if the butt sections of my rods were a lot skinnier, but they are too flimsy for my use anyway.

Any thoughts here as to how I could whip up a few of these guys before the season gets into full swing?

2. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    what sort of bank are you fishing on. If it is soft at all you can cut a section of pvc or abs pipe at an angle on one end and drive it into the ground with a mallet. Put your rod in the other end and your set. If I can get a pipe in the ground this is my preffered method.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You need to get into the library. Tons of goodies in there. :wink:

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I use a section of all thread with a 12" piece of pvc clamped on with pipe clamps and then some duct tape. Works real good and I don't worry about my rods going in.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use the heavy duty spiral bank rod holders. They will hold the largest of rods securely and only cost about $3 each. I have 6 of them and dont fish without them. You can check them out at catfish connection.:wink:

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    John i use the same thing and lovem you cant make one for $3 thay are tuff you wont bend theas suckers grinde a point on the end befor you start using theam thay will go in the ground a little easyer

7. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    I made my own that consists of a steel railroad plate and a peice of tubing bout 2" round bent on a 45 and bolted to the plate weighs bout 30#s each then stake them to the bank, after I had one bout drug into the river.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Romo I been using the heavy duty spiral rod holders. Not sure if that is what you looking for. Brinkmans has some nice ones for $4.00 they fit just about any rod. Even the tigers that have thick butts on them. Sometimes they can a pain to dig in the dirt though at some of the areas we (you) fish. Especially during a dry spell...

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    a pc #6 rebar cut 45* on 1 end 2 or 3 feet long with a pc 1-1/2 pvc a foot long and 2 or 3 hose clamps to hold all together

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I think those spiral rod holders that John and Netman is what we need.

I'm sick and tired of using those plastic sandspikes that break after a few uses. and I'm sick and tired of leaving my rods on the ground.

Most places we fish have rocky banks.

I'm gonna go with those spiral ones.

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i like ta use the disposable Y stick, i'm cheap:smile2:

12. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I use the telescoping y sticks Cabela's has them but I get them local

13. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I just cut me some heavy pvc, sharp on one end, and a rubber mallet. thats all thats needed.

14. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    yep me too, although on rocky banks or super hard ground these don't work that great...

15. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    what about when you fish with me in the nosebleed section on the barge Jay, you don't have to worry about your rods going in with those built rod holders. :smile2:

16. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    HAHA, aint that the truth. Nice to fish where there are rod holders built in already. I dont think theres a fish out there thats gonna pull a freakin barge in.

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    One thing I want to add about those heavy duty spiral bank rod holders is that they will hold the largest of rods and you can set your rods in these holders and walk away from your rods if you need to. The rod is secure even if a monster fish latches on.

When you get one of these...it helps to have a grinder to put a point on the end and then they go into the ground much easier.

I also have noticed, since fishing with these holders while using a 9/0 King Kahle hook....the fish seem to hook themselves. The spiral rod holder acts like a big spring working with the rod and my hook ups have improved greatly....especially on Big Flatheads with live baits. I highly recommend these rod holders. Just make sure to get the Heavy Duty ones.:cool2:

18. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    reps to you john for the helpful, hint.

I'm intrigued... I have to try it out.

19. vinestbrew

vinestbrew New Member

State:
    pgh,PA
    I found that the bank buddy from cabelas to work well