Bank Rod Holder for Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Naack, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    I have been looking for a rod holder I can use on the banks for Circle hooks. Since I mostly fish places that are purely rocks or shale, it is impossable to get any rod holder into the ground. I really couldn't find any, so after alot of thought, I made one. OK here is what I did: I took a 10' peice of 1 1/2'' PVC and cut it into 18 inch sections. It leaves you with 12'' left, which is used for the middle section, then I used 4 T sections for the legs, 1/4 inch round stainless for the adjustable legs which also makes the unit fold flat for storage in a car/truck, and a 1'' by 3' peice of 1/4 inch metal for the support/anchor...I should have taken pictures while making this, but I was caught up in the process. Anyway the pictures will show you all you need to know and if not send me a msg and I can explain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    found an issue with the setup ... the glue wasnt holding so i had to put 1/2'' self taping screws on and it seems to work real well.

3. candostcan

candostcan New Member

State:
    Turkey-İzmir
    Thanks Shawn, good idea.

Different example

[​IMG]

4. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Just an update.. at first i was wondering how this would hold up under a large fish...well i was out the other night and while i had a small fish on i had a 32 lber hook up on the 2nd rod.. the rod holder held him at bay til i could get to it , thats on the large size here in PA but it held him with ease .. so i was just adding some comments after finaly using it :smile2:

5. Matt77

Matt77 New Member

State:
    from Us NY live in Cnt FL
    I like your idea but it sounds too complicated for me plus whats to stop a biggin to pulling the whole contraption into the water? If you tether it too a stake I guess. Anyways heres what I use. Sorry I don't have any pictures but its pretty easy and self explanatory.

1) get as many 3 foot sections of PVC (that are just big enough to hold the butt of your pole) that you have rods for.
    2) cut a 45 degree on one side of each, I use a chop saw for this
    3) on the other end cut a "V" on the top to the side down. About 1 1/2 inches wide by 2, 2 1/2 inches deep. I use a regular rectangular wood hand saw for this.
    4) pound or twist it into the bank, straight up and down with the "V" facing you, not the water.
    5) you cast your pole and either set the pole into the "V" groove with your pole tip being as high as it can go and the butt of your rod sitting on the ground.
    6) I go a lot of times by myself and get bored waiting so heres what you do when your not really paying attention. Lower your pole by placing the eyelet closest to the reel in the "V" groove and still keep your line tight. This gives your rod a little more support when the fish hits it. Because lets remember it only takes a 1 1/2 pound cat to take your rod on a one way trip into the drink. :)
    7) LAST BUT DEFINITELY NOT LEAST! Like I said I go a lot by myself and fish with 4 poles. There are plenty of times when I get fish on 2 rods at the same time. Like last night. Setting the hook with my left hand and I'm right handed. But thats neither here nor there. Although extremely fun when it happens. OK, back on topic now. When that happens you set the hook on one and drop it in the top part of your PVC pipe, because it also acts as a fish "on" rod holder. Thats the simplest bank holder I have made yet. Less is more sometimes.

6. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    I would love to use this idea but where I fish I cant stick anything into the ground. Its All Rocks and I'm talking 5lb to 500lb rocks so that idea wold not work for me thats why i had to come up with this. Most use a 5 gallon bucket for bait, that's my weight or I can always grab a 30 or 40lb rock. I've had a few double hits on this rig already and it holds a 30+lb cat with ease. I guess different locations just need different things. Trust me I would love to use a rod holder I could pound into the ground, but I can't.

7. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I did a couple of quicky holders that work on my folding chair very nicely. Took me just a few minutes to crank them out.

1.5" pvc, about 16" long on one end I cut a slot the same width as the support bars for the chair. Slip it onto a bar and used some velcro strap to hold it in place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]