Bank Poles

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slim1, Jul 25, 2008.

1. slim1

slim1 New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I would like to know what you guys have for bank poles? I do the pvc pole, but had a couple break on me. I am now going to try 1/2" allthread rod with the end bent in a loop and a rubber bungee strap off of that. Then tie my line to the other end of the rubber strap.

Any other ideas?

-matt

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Hey Matt, try running a chunk of rerod down the center of your pvc pipe. That is what we use and it works great. The rerod can just be dropped down the center if you are going for the bigguns or taken out if you are chasing the smaller ones. Works pretty slick!

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i usually use wooden willow sticks but i dont target monsters. what size pvc were ya using.:confused2:

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use 1/2 inch and catch them
    i have never had one break on me

5. slim1

slim1 New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I was using 1/2" pvc. We had one broken by something big because the 10/o circle hook was also bent way open. I think after 2 years they get more brittle from being in the sun and whatnot.

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    where did you learn this way of bank lining

7. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i use 1/2 inch pvc and like to have em 7 foot long so there is plenty of give and they wont snap(plus its very exciting to see them bouncing like crazy). i agree that after a couple of years they can get a little brittle so i tend to replace them every 2 years. i use 360 lb braided line with 10/0 to 12/0 circle hooks. i dont use anything like bunjees because the pvc is so long and gives so much that i never needed em. but then again there were times i wish i could have used a 3 foot rod in a tight log jam but couldnt. we have cought multiple 40lb flattys(along with plenty 30's and 20's) and never had a broken pole. also, live-hand-sized-blue-gill are the go to for me. hope this helps.

8. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Hrmm... no alligators up there in Iowa right? Reckon what it was?

9. Cdbush28

Cdbush28 New Member

State:
    Washington
    I bet it was a beaver

10. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    ahhh

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    a big snapper can bend a hook too, as can a softshell.

i remember someone on here talking about the flagging poles for golf. i don't golf, so i'm not sure of their proper name. they said they worked pretty good anyway. i always thought about using those old style aluminum tent poles. seems like they would be light to carry a bunch and should work, as long as there aren't any dings in them to weaken the metal. just a thought. i always used the cottonwood and willow saplings for bank poles.