bank poles

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by riverlover, May 26, 2008.

1. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i seen some bank poles looked pretty handy. they looked like about 1/2 inch pvc pipe 8 foot long how derable are these and how do you make your bank poles. and if you catch a big one is your pole still there or is it in the river dragging behind the fish. need feed back please

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    First feedback participation - pvc bank poles are NOT legal in all the states. You have to check your state laws/regulations very thoroughly, and possibly, call one of the state wardens to get the question answered. From what I have heard, talking to people who do use the pvc poles, they are very good at holding the fish. It depends upon the effort of the guy fishing with the poles. You stick them 4 to 6 inches in a mud bank, they may well be gone when you get back. They must be properly anchored, and I would recommend, in compliance with the regulations governing their use. I guess we are fortunate in Oklahoma as there are generally enough tree limbs hanging around that we don't have to use the PVC pipe. I have mostly heard of their use along rip rap.

3. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i'm looking for some what cheaper and differant i'm looking info about bank poles their used instead of a tree branch. but i liked your holders. i fish on the missouri where branches (good ones) are hard to find in some of these holes. where ole mr flathead likes to hang out. and i like to know how to make them where the fish dosn't break or drags off with it.:wink:

4. dobbie

dobbie Member

We used 1" PVC pipe for a couple of years,until we found out it wasn't legal in Oklahoma.The river we fish has a beaver problem and they cut 2 or 3 poles a night.It seems like they dont like hickory as much as ash poles.We try and cut them 12 foot long,and stick them 2 foot into the mud.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Oklahoma has, or is in the process, of modifying its game laws to allow PVC poles. I just don't know if the effective date has passed or not.

6. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I use bank poles, I use 8 ft 3/4 to 1 inch poles. I pound them in the bank about 2-21/2 ft. I like to angle them up a little so if I do get a big fish he probably won't pull it out. The places where I fish I only need about 3-4 I have a lot of good limbs.

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use 1inch and 10ft long
    make sure they are angled and in deep i usually put them in 2-3 ft.deep and yes they are durable put your hole for your line about 2inches away from the end i usually stick them in places where there are not good limbs to hang off of or logs to set a line on

8. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i just want to say thanks to all the guys that replayed i got what i needed :smile2::big_smile:

9. TexasTerry

TexasTerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    Does anybody know if it's legal in Texas?

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    What if you ran the line all the way through the pole and tied a quart jug on in case it did pull out that way you could still find you rig and fish ?

11. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Lance,,,,,,I think that would be a lot of work, Plus you would need longer poles to compansat for the line and jug.

I dill a hole about 3-6 inches from the tip of pole, pound pole in about 2-3 feet in bank. All my poles are filled with 'Tough Stuff' foam spray, it floats!!

12. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the concerns about beavers and big fish and all makes it sound like you guys set these things up and leave then come back in the morning or something... Is that how this works? If so, I just don't get it. Sound more like trapping than fishing to me. :confused2:

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    allen it's like a jug line or trotline or anything else. it's a good way to fish a lot of water in a short amount of time. we fished bank poles when i was a kid, but with saplings for poles. we would cut off all the little branches with our bowie knives and get them as deep in the bank as they would go. i always baited up with perch or bullheads and caught some really good fish on them.

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Tonto, i and the gang set out 7 of them last weekend. believe it was 1 inch pvc. we left them all night and caught a few with one over 40 pounds.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It's a way of using a limbline when you don't have a limb. Most of us prefer using an actual limb, but there's not always one where you need one, especially on a bank of riprap. Of course, we could use a trotline, but if we want to place a live baitfish right at the surface, the only way we can do it is with a limbline or bank pole.

16. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Here in Iowa limblines are illegal but bank poles are not.
    Most of the big flatheads are caught on bank poles.

17. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    We don't buy bank poles...we cut our own. Find a bunch of willow trees and select the poles you want. Sharpen the end to push into the bank, tie on the line and hook and go fishing. We have even stashed the poles along the river [line and hooks removed] and don't have to haul them back and forth. Go back, pick up the pole, tie line and away we go again.

18. Brian Moyse

Brian Moyse New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    I have a friend that runs a golf course. He gave me a bunch of flag sticks that they replaced this year. I would imagine most courses probably just toss these used flag sticks in the dumpster. They are really nice, and I think could take alot of abuse. I just cut off the bottom brass fitting with a hacksaw.

Brian

19. Brian Moyse

Brian Moyse New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    Oh, and I forgot to add. These poles are fiberglass, and there is actually a brass threaded fitting on the top. I fill post a picture once I get them set up.

Brian

20. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've never used willow. When I started setting bank ploes I was advised that beaver will chew them up. When I was using wood poles I used ironwood. Its tough as ... well iron...
    I'm now using 3/4" plastic pipe.
    have a good day
    just