Bank Poles

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by MoMudCat, Feb 27, 2007.

1. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I wasn't really sure where to put this so I thought I would start with my Missouri Bros. I know most of you on here don't run trot lines and such so you guys can tune out now:lol: I was thinking about a better and safer way for a person to set lines by themselves. After talking with slider on the river last year, he convinced me that bank poles are the way to go. You can hit a lot of different holes, and they are eaiser and safer to put out and run by yourself. I started thinking of a good design for a bank pole. I wanted to have something quick and easy to set and run, and I wanted to do away with the styrofoam cooler full of hooks and line. I made a proto-type and would like some opinions on it. It is basically an 8 foot piece of half inch pvc. I put a piece of sharpend all thread on one end and a steel ring on the other. In stored mode, the line lays close to the pole to prevent tangles. When set up, there is enough line to set the bait about two feet under the water. It is quick and easy to set up. Just pull the hook out of the hole, pull the swivel snap out of its hole and attach to the ring. The only other thing I may add is a piece of line on the inside that is connected from the all thread to the steel ring. That way as long as a big fish doesn't pull the pole out of the bank, he can break the pvc and I will not loose him. Anyway, let me know if you think it will work. I will try to post a drawing of it I made.

Attached Files:

2. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Seems like an interesting idea. I wonder if 1/2" is sturdy enough?

3. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Well, in my yard it is amazingly flexable! I can bend it all the way to the ground and it seems to be plenty strong. I hope someone has tried this before and can give me some insight! The cost to make one was only like $1.80.

4. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I also question the plastic pipe. The white color would attract all kinds of people a quarter mile away to come see what it is. And I mean all kinds. Used to use half inch rerod with a two foot bungee cord and I've seen them bent real bad. At least the rust color was hard to see unless they were looking for them. Dont forget to tag em.

5. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I talked to a guy one day on the river that said he used solid fiberglass rods and they worked very well and are almost impossible to break.
    He started by using old chimney sweep rods and when it worked so well he ordered some online.
    Here is a site that might have something similar available.
    http://www.mgs4u.com/fiberglass-tube-rod.htm

6. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    pvc will definately bend but whne you put the holes in side you are weakening them drastically. Just depends on what you are wanting to catch , but you'll be lucky to hold anything of size.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    We have had a similar discussion in Oklahoma, and If I remember right, our Department of Wildlife said it was illegal to use PVC. If your state does allow it, you may want to look at the electrical pvc pipe. It is gray and won't stand out as the white stuff.

8. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I just looked in the Wildlife Code Book issued March 1, 2007. I can't find any restrictions on the composition of bank lines. The only thing that I see is the total number of hooks allowed. Am I missing something? I read through the whole fishing section and did not even see the Missouri River mentioned other than the number of hooks allowed which is less than that allowed on the Mississippi. Is there another book that sets forth the regulations?

9. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Maybe Curious Catter should become my post name. Terry Day seems so mundane when compared to all the imaginative names out there. What do you think?

Back to the reason for my post! I became interested in the question of bank line construction. I called the MDC (573) 751-4115, and asked if there was a restriction on the construction of bank lines, specifically the rods that were sunk into the banks of the river. I was informed that the MDC does not have any restrictions on the materials that can be used to construct a bank line. They said that the Division of Natural Resources (DNC) may have, but he was not aware of anything pertaining to bank line construction. As a matter of fact, this was the first time that he can remember this question being asked.

I asked if there was any other publication that covered fishing regulations in the state of Missouri. He stated that there is a Summary of Fishing Regulations handbook that is available to the public. He said that it is not due to be released until this Thursday (March 1st). He took my name and said that he would mail me one as soon as they received them. He was a nice guy, but I'll be curious to see if I actually receive one in the mail.

10. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Terry,
    Bank lines are treated as listed below, you just need to attend them every 24 hours and lable them with you name and contact info.

3 CSR 10-6.410 Fishing Methods​
    PURPOSE: This rule establishes the methods
    by which fishermen may take fish.​
    (1) Fish may be taken by the use of pole and
    line, trotline, throwline, limb line, bank line,
    jug line, gig, longbow, crossbow, underwater
    spearfishing, snagging, snaring or grabbing,
    but only as specifically authorized in 3 CSR
    10-6.415 through 3 CSR 10-6.550. No person
    may attempt to take fish by rock or hand
    fishing, with or without hook except as
    specifically authorized in 3 CSR 10-6.511.
    Live bait, mussels, claims, bullfrogs, green
    frogs, common snapping turtles and softshelled
    turtles may be taken only as specifically
    authorized in 3 CSR 10-6.605 through​
    3 CSR 10-6.620.
    (4) Live bait traps, hooks, trotlines, throwlines,
    limb lines, bank lines or anchored jug
    lines (rendered immobile from the location
    where set) may not be left unattended for
    more than twenty-four (24) hours or must be​
    completely removed.
    (8) Live bait traps, trotlines, throwlines, limb
    lines, bank lines, jug lines and live boxes
    shall be plainly labeled on a durable material
    with the full name and address of the person​
    using the equipment.

11. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Richard, That is one of the section that I read. If that is all that governs fishing then a jug line can be any color. I was under the misguided impression that a jug line had to be a specific color. That is why this site is so valuable. There is a wealth of information here. It looks like I need to become more familiar with the Wildlife Code in area other than length and daily limits. I appreciate your comments. Thanks

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Terry, you have probably seen the posts where the jugs in Texas have to be white...guess they could be blue or green, as long as they have a final covering which is white. Sounds like you guys are good to go on your bank lines. Don't use pvc until it warms up...it is still close to freezing at night and it a decent fish did get on the pvc pipe, it would probably snap.

13. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Are you fishing from the bank?
    When I was a kid we would use cane poles found along the reiver bank.

If you fishing from a boat, anchored jugs seems like a better way to go.
    Eaiser to put out and you can have a couple hooks on them.

14. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Momudcat, my brother lives really close to you and he bought 8' solid fiberglass rods somewhere around the lake. He uses them every summer and if I'm not mistaken that's what he caught a 43# flat on last year. He tried the pcv pipe and had problems with them and that's when he went to the solid glass rods. if you want info on the glass rods let me know and I'll contact him.

15. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Along the rivers here in Oklahoma we have salt cedars. They're very flexible, grow fairly straight, and are nearly impossible to break when bending them over. Nearly everybody I know uses them for bank poles. I usually try to use salt cedar branches at least 6' long, with 8 or 9 feet long being best. I use a machete to whack 'em off at the base, and it cuts me a nice angle to jab into the ground. I usually try to leave a fork at the end, and tie my line on the bottom of the fork. You can just wrap the line around the end of the limb however many times you need, in order to set the correct depth of your line, and then run the line up through the fork and into the water.

Cheap, easy to make, and if you carry the rest of your gear to the river, you can build your bankpoles right there as you're setting them out. That is, assuming you have salt cedars or something similar in your neck of the woods. Also, you've gotta have apretty keen eye to spot them & this makes it harder for folks to run my lines.

Another tip: if you plan on fishing for flatheads with live bait, we've found that putting the bait about 2" under the water is best. This way, he has to splash around and try his hardest to swim.... therefore he lures in Mr. Monster to his location.

Good luck & have fun. To me, running bank poles is just like trapping. I evaluate the river for the best looking spots, then set my traps. Fun stuff.

16. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I plan on using some really old fashion bank poles...limb lines.

17. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yep Iwas thinking along the same lines with pvs don`t know now with the post you guys are puting upthanks guys:big_smile:

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    These "Bank Poles" or what I call dob rods are what I use. I used to use PVC, but I have had 40lb flatheads break these. Instead I use 1/2" solid fiberglass tree stakes. Pretty much a solid 1/2" fiberglass dowel rod. They come in ten foot lengths and I cut them in half, using a five foot rod. I use 360lb trotline, 2 5 foot sections with a large barrel swivel, and 10/0 hook, These will hold a 60lb fish all night long. You can sink them into stumps by bringing a cordless drill and drilling a 1/2" hole in the tree and then pushing them into place or just jam them into a root wad. You just unravel the line off the end of the rod to meet you depth. They are easy to spot at night or when there is a fish on. They are easy to set and remove also.

19. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was wanting. Looks like it will have to be solid glass rods.

20. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Jim here is a pic of the rods that I use if you check out KGK20's post Fishing Mark Twain Lake in Mo, Under flathead catfishing, you will se some flatheads that we caught using these rods. Like I said before, they are easy to set, bait, and remove. It's easy to tell when there is a fish on. Having 10 ft. of line lets you only unravel what you need, and having a large swivel eliminates the twist you get with a limbline. I hope this helps you.

Attached Files: