Bank Poles

Discussion in 'MISSOURI CATFISHING' started by cb8128, Apr 27, 2020.

1. cb8128

cb8128 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Cody Bell
    Does anyone have any tips on rigging bank poles? I normally just wrap some nylon line around them and tie a knot then put a bank sinker on with a swivel and one hook. Recently I've heard of people rigging them up with 2-3 hooks and didn't know how would be the best way to rig them up if doing that.

2. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    I haven't bank poled in years but when we did ours were a simple cane pole cut from a cane break the spring before, left to dry in the sun all summer , stored in the hay loft over the winter then rigged with a line tied about the third joint from the butt ran to the tip then tied again. One sinker, one hook. We did put a sheep band on them for a hook holder and if we had some spare change reflective tape on the tip, it's amazing how reflective tape shines just from the glow of a Coleman lantern on the bow of a leaking 12 ft. jon.

Nuclear Bill, Bobp, cb8128 and 4 others like this.

3. MrBushHog

MrBushHog Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Greg
    I'm not saying this is the only way, or the right way, or the best way, but it works for me.

#35 trotline braid all the way around. Simple half-hitch loop through the pole, then a 450lb steel snap swivel, then about as much line as the pole is long with a 4oz egg sinker and a 450lb steel swivel. Then a foot or so of line to a 9/0-12/0 Gama circle. I use half-hitch loops for all of the knots - they're simple, fast to tie, and they won't come untied long as you pull em down good and tight.

Generally I'm gonna stick the pole in the mud right close to the waterline, at a 45° angle give or take how you can manage it, then pull the line up so the lead is barely in the water and secure it to the end of the pole with a plastic zip tie - this makes it easy to put the lead where you want it without a bunch of messing around with the line. Setting for flathead I like the bait close to the top where it can make a good ruckus. Blues and channels will come up there too so you don't really need to sink it deep. I don't ever want so much line out that the lead will set on the bottom of the river. I want the bait to be able to swim and flip around good.

As far as using more than one hook on a diddy pole I usually don't, but if you've got a solid piece of wood in deeper water, and you can punch a hole in it for a place to stick the pole, using more than one hook might work out alright. For me it's easier to use an anchored jug line or a trotline in those spots. Trying to hold the boat in MO River current while your buddy drills a hole isn't the easiest thing to do, and I'd feel kind of bad watching my expensive Makita drill and battery go sploosh. I see quite a few set that way so I have no reason to say it ain't worth trying if you want to.

Attached Files:

cb8128 and Bobp like this.
  4. Bobp

Bobp Member

State:
    AR
    Name:
    Bob Poole
    Where did you get the fiberglass rods?
    I've bank polled before.....used dried cane ..

5. MrBushHog

MrBushHog Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Greg
    Got em from a buddy who sold his boat.

Do a google search for "fiberglass tree stakes". Lots of options out there.

Tombstone Tackle in Columbia, MO sells a ton of them.

6. primitive

primitive Active Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Name:
    Mississippi 16
    Got my 38 pound flathead on the smaller re-rod. He bent it some, it was pushed deep into the bank and held him.

g

7. cb8128

cb8128 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Cody Bell
    I bought mine at wyatt's tackle in moberly. They seem to be reasonably priced.

8. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Big thing the guys are using on the stretch of the Ohio I fish is 1/2" PVC. Guess it is working well for them they bring in some big catches with a lot of fish I would like to see released instead of butchered.

Nuclear Bill likes this.
  9. MrBushHog

MrBushHog Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Greg
    I have some PVC poles with a piece of rebar in the butt end. Use em when the creeks are flooded. Drill a hole in a tree. It's work and I always worry about losing the $$$ drill. They work good.

10. Welder

Welder Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Troy
    Gota guy here who duct tapes them to branches logs ect if he wants to fish a spot where you cannot stick it in the bank.

MrBushHog likes this.