Bank Poles

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by BigCatter54, Jun 10, 2009.

1. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have been wanting to use bank poles, I was just curious where people bought these at, how much they are, or what people use for their bank poles.

Thanks

Chad

2. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the way me and my grandpa make them are by taking about a 6 foot piece of PVC, about 1/2 or 3/4 inch and take drop line, like you use on trot lines and ties in there and put a sinker on there and a hook, we use tru-turns

hope this helps

3. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    not much to em... 3\4 pvc, line, hooks, swivils & a brick for a weight.The real fun is watching that pvc bend & pop when you have a fish on. I think I saw a youtube video once on them under pole line fishing

4. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    Make sure to read your state regs, pvc is not allowed in some states now, poles must be wood or bamboo.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    me and my uncle used to use those and it was a tonf of fun! never had one break either...never caught anything extremely monstrous on them though..still fun

ours were like everybody else has said..6 ft pvc...lin hook weight bait fish

6. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    I prefer to use iron wood poles but it is kinda hard to find, so we use long skinny green willow polls. 8' to 12' long. heavy nylon braided line, 8/0-10/0 circle hooks a large swivel about 8" above hook and a 2oz. bank sinker just above the swivel. push the pole in a little flatter than a 45 degree angle. unwrap string so that the weight is just in the water and bait her up! The one problem is that once in a great while a beaver has decided to make one of those green poles into supper! [only twice in like twenty some years]
    White pvc would be easier but I just kinda like the idea of making them all up myself like grandpa did...

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What IA Flatcatter said all the riverwillow pole cost ya is time. I have evnen nailed em to old piles on the MO but most the time just pile 200 to 3oo lbs of rock on em when fishen dikes in low water on the MO river or just push em in the bank good on soft or sand banks. Found a willow 1 inch thick @ the tip and 10 12 ft long is ideal. I have only lost one and it was stolen seen where the rock was pulled off it. A good sharp hatchet or a brush knife can cut ya 10 to 20 poles in half a hr. Its funn to do with the kidds.

8. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I get fancier than necessary, but we got some steel pipe in with some heavier pipe for posts that is 1/2" outside diameter and has a lot of flex to it. I cut 1 end at a 45 degree angle and welded a square nut on the other to keep line on. I have caught flats up to 43lbs on them and they work very well. On the sandy banks I set in, these let me get the pole in good and deep and are easily movable when the action slows. Also this year I started drilling into logs and running them that way, works great. Gets bait right where you want it and is very solid. Caught a 39 & 27 on these sets the last 2 weeks. Hope that helps and good luck!

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      21.6 KB
      Views:
  9. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    My biggest flathead on one of these to date was 43lbs on a pipe pole driven into a mud bank, I started experimenting this year with carrying my cordless drill and setting them into logs to improve on bait placement. This strategy has let me catch a 39lb flat earlier at a creek mouth, and a 27 and tonight a big one from a logjam upstream. The cat tonight bent the pole which I did not think could happen from a fish. I still have doubts that it was only fish and not a fish driftwood combo as the river is rising. My design has caught several 20-40lb cats stuck in mud or sand banks, but the lack of flex in a log caused problems it looks like. I think a better bit would help, I have only been able to drill 5-6" deep and then I hammer the pole in as far as I can. All the stress on the base instead of spread throughout the arc with a shock absorber may have been the problem. The flat tonight hit 52.8lbs before breaking the hook on my cheap Walmart scale. I released him right away, because I knew all the certified scales would be closed anyway. The gar have been terrible so I have been baiting after dark when possible. Anyway, I may look at sliding a rod inside the base of the pipe and tacking it this winter for next season. Or to make it simple I could tie a piece of inner tube or bungee between the pole the line on the log sets. I worry about this where I am placing them, as they are in heavy cover and fish cannot be allowed to run far. Anyway, I needed a plan to make them weigh more, so my friends would make more fun of me anyway. If anyone has a similar design and a better idea please let me know.

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    SOUNDS LIKE THE PVC PIPE WOULD WORK PRETTY GOOD.

11. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    They probably would, I just worried about getting good hooksets with that much flex, and as tight as have been setting them to cover the flex of the PVC would allow them to get snagged. I may have to move them and try that, but I like being able to place baits precisely on the current breaks. I have been having good luck with king kahle 8/0 hooks, but I wonder if the circles would be better on PVC?

12. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    The nicest ones I've seen/used were discarded golf course hole flag poles.
    Lots of flex but not to much. Around 6 feet long.
    Have a good 1
    just

13. so ill catman

so ill catman New Member

State:
    illinois
    if you are goin to use live bait on your bank poles i wouldnt recommend using weights.

14. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I buy my bank poles at Joes Jug in Louisiana, for the quarter inch white 10 foot poles they are 8 dollars a piece, the gray 1/2 poles are 10 dollars a piece. I recommend the 1/2 poles. Just let me know if you would like i can bring you a couple of mine to try out, before you buy.

15. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Josh, thanks for the late reply....

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This reminds me. I have ten 10' 3/8" epoxy poles that I need to go pick up. Got them for $3.25 each from a guy that bought 100 of them. I think they will work well.

17. Brian Moyse

Brian Moyse New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    Here are some pics of bank poles that I made:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83187

I put them out on a local river a few nights ago and had really good success on channels. No flats, just big channels caught on big live bluegills.

I switched out the hooks since the photos. I have Eagle Circle Sea 7/0 hooks on now. Also, I took off the flags and wrote my info with a Sharpie on the pole itself. And, added some reflective strips on the end of the poke in case we want to check them at night.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009