Bank poles, limb lines, troutlines etc.

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by brad kilpatrick, Dec 25, 2005.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Slim
    For bank poles I prefer to use 1"-1 1/2" pvc pipe about eight ft long. Attach an eyebolt to one end and tie 150lb (min) braided line to that. weight the end of the line with the appropate size weight to offset current. Then I decide how deep I want My bait, and cut out a one foot section of the line. I then tie a loop in the line with a swivel in the loop reattach the sectin to the main line with swivels on each end. This complely isolates the bait and you get no line twist what so ever. add a leader to the looped swivel and a big nasty circle hook.

Hope you all can follow that, I'll post some pics of My rigs later this evening.

2. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Brad, there is a guy in columbia Mo that sells 1/2 fiberglass bank poles relatively cheap. I am thinking of using them this year. I can't wait to see pics of your poles. Whats the biggest cat you have caught on one.

3. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    For limblines I use 900lb braided nylon line with 1500lb hoop net swivels, with 16/0 egg sinkers, and 16/0 or 20/0 eagle claw or mustad circle sea circle hooks. I have tried some gamakatsu big river hooks but catch most flats on the circle hooks. ONly problem is the rivers I fish don't have the cover, rivers in kansas have. I am going to use more bank poles this year, main focus will be steep cut banks with nearby treetops, close to the main channel or a surrounding hole. Does anybody else limbline or bankpole? Lets compare notes and ideas.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    do you have a web address or # of the guy who sells those fiberglass ploes? cant find anything worth a damn around here.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dink,

is it legal here? I'm going to try it this year, at least I think. Can you have bank poles & then your reg poles, in Ohio? I need some more info.

Brad, I may have to call you to get some more into on these!

6. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Slim, The flathead in My avatar was caught on one of the 1" schedule 40 PVC poles that I use. roughly $1.50 for a ten foot chunk @ lowes or home depot. I spend a lot more on line, swivels,hooks and weights. I've always been amazed at the strength of the PVC.

One important note for PVC poles. You HAVE to store them OUT of the sunlight. The sun makes them brittle over time.

Mellon, not doing much right now, if Ya want to call cool Do You still have My digits?

7. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I like to limb line a good bit and the rig I use is a piece of 320 tarred line, tied to a double length of inter-tube, then a piece of 320 line with a swivel on the end, a good size hook and a weight of about 1-3 oz. Bait and check often. I will run around 50 at a time along with two(2) 20 hook trot lines. I may throw a few jugs in if not using trot lines.

8. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Brad, what type of banks do you look for bankpoles. I usually look for steep cutbanks.

9. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Yes I like the steep cut banks as well. Here on the kaw I tend to focus on cover, fallen trees, log jams, sunken barges etc. I also like to make a few sets on sand bars with adjacent shallow flats. Also if it has recently rained and water is flowing into the river i'll make a set there, even if its a little run off ditch dumping into the river. I think that the big cats well check these little areas for food being washed into the river.

10. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    here is the pics
    just took down the tree please excuse the messy floor

Attached Files:

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Brad, how long do you make your hook and sinker leaders? That looks like a really good setup. Does the 1" EPVC, bend good? I guess you cut the coupling off the pipe.

12. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Leader legnth just depends, how close to cover am I, how fast is the H2O flowing. But usally 1-2 ' is the norm for Me

The sch 40 PVC i use doesn't have a coupling on the end.

13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Brad, what color is the pipe you are buying the grey is usually for electrical unless its Sch 80 for waterlines. The sch80 is to thick I would think. Those fiberglass poles are solid, and sunguarded. Thanks for the pics, this is getting interesting.

14. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    The poles are white schedule 40, (thicker wall then normal pvc) just plain old water pipe.

Yes i do believe the grey is for electrical

I have never had any trouble with sunlight effecting my poles when stored out of the sun when not in use. (stored a set out side one winter, big mistake come spring they were brittle as heck) Of coarse I'm a weekend warrior, so its get them out for the weekend and put back into the garage for the work week. sunlight might be a prob. if you are gonna run them for weeks at a time.

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    heres pics of one of my lines. the upper line is 354 lb twisted nylon, short bunjie(way better than inner tube), old cast net weights, 3/16 inch BRAIDED rope, and a 9/0 penn blue water stainless 4x strong circle. i use the braided rope near the hook because it holds up better than twisted nylon. the black twisted camo's against the trees really good during the day and is almost invisible at night. flats in my river rarely exceed 35 lb so a 9/0 works fine. they catch a lot of those anoying channels too

16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    heres pics of one of my lines. the upper line is 354 lb twisted nylon, short bunjie(way better than inner tube), old cast net weights, 3/16 inch BRAIDED rope, and a 9/0 penn blue water stainless 4x strong circle. i use the braided rope near the hook because it holds up better than twisted nylon. the black twisted camo's against the trees really good during the day and is almost invisible at night. flats in my river rarely exceed 35 lb so a 9/0 works fine. they catch a lot of those anoying channels too

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dink, no pic came out

So in Ohio, can I have my 2 Rod & Reels, then say 100 yards down river/bank have a bank pole?

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yep, only rules are on how many you have and you have to have your address, name and phone number attached.

19. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    so Mike with the rubber "shock absorber" I'm assuming that your securing your lines to something rigid like a log?