Bank Pole setups for Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bnewsom71, Apr 16, 2009.

1. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I would like to get some do's and don'ts about setting up some flathead bank poles. What do people use for poles and the length of those, and how about the size circle hooks to use. Oh yeah, they will be used on the Mississippi river. Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated!!!:smile2:

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't cast your bait out and leave you reel in gear, lay your unit on the bank and walk away.:wink:

3. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I appreciate the advise!! Lol! OK, maybe I should say bank lines?

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian for flatheads I would suggest you use the Kahle or king kahle hooks. I think the ratio of hook ups on flatheads is better with Kahle.

5. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Thanks Mikey! Do you recommend a size of hook. I have been told a large variety. I am used to catching the channels, but I want to start to focus on the flatheads and I know it will take a pretty large one.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I recommend checking them often. They can get off a lot quicker than from a jug or trot line. Some of the brothers use rubber bungees to help alleviate this problem to some extent.:cool2:

7. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    MAKE SURE YOUR POLES ARE SECURED AND I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY AND WENT TO CHECK MY POLES ONE WAS GONE, AFTER THAT I PUT ROD FLOATERS ON ALL MY POLES, MAN DO NOTHIN BUT BANK FISHING SO IF YOU HAVE ANNY OTHER ? DONT HESITATE TO ASK

8. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    not a huge expert on catfishing in general. I personally use Gamakstu Octapus Circles, but the guys who do use Kahles and King Kahles with live bait for flats i have heard use 8/0, 9/0 and 10/0 Kahles. Maybe some more knowledgeable members will chime in, but thats just some things i have heard in the chat and on the boards. Hope it helps.

9. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    just match your hooks with the size of bait your using if you use too big of hook you will kill the bait, if you use too small of hook it might penetrate the bait again and the end result would be a bar hookset if any. If I were you I would buy a variety of different size hooks.:wink:

10. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

Catfishin_Farm_Boy New Member

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    8/0 Gamakatsu Octapus Circle Hooks or 10/0 Eagle Claw King Kahles are the only size hooks you need...

Flat Bank Sinkers or No Rolls Sinkers will help you stay put in current the best... More current there is the more weight you'll need...

As said above make sure you secure your rods really good... There is various types of bank rod holders out there and some work really good... Bass pro shops has some good ones...

I would put your lines different distances... Some poles close to the bank and some far out in the river.... Flatheads will roam the shallows alot at night...

Carolina Rig or Drop Shot Rig or 3 Way Rig is about all you need to use... I use the Carolina Rig and Drop Shot Rig the most...

On the live bluegill or shad you wanna hook them in the back between the fin and the start of the tail... Go in a good distance so they dont tare off easy...

Also Flatheads will hold on structure alot.. Wood, etc... So if you see any trees down in the water or stumps.. Would be a good place to cast a line too.... Any kinda Eddies in the river will hold fish, deep holes, channel that runs close by a flat... Outside bends in the river.. Etc..

Good Luck...

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Eric summed it up pretty good in the previous post. I dont use circles for Flats....9/0 King Kahles with large live bluegills.

12. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i use king kahles 10/0s for all my flathead rigs good hooks and strong

13. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Thanks everyone for the replies!! But I think this has been misunderstood. The responses almost sound like suggestions for rod and reel. I am wanting to build up some bank poles that you stick in the bank with a short (4-5 ft) line on it and leave it overnite. Some call them diddy poles. Or is that what you were helping me with and I am a moron!? :eek:oooh: Anyone have any suggestions on the poles themselves? I have heard solid fiberglass, but wow :crazy: are they pricey!! I could use willow sapplings, but I don't want to have to deal with the wood stuff. I was thinking of pretty large pvc with a 4 ft or so piece of rerod attached to the bottom of it somehow to put into the ground. Am I all wrong or what? HELP!:embarassed: Thanks again!!

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you are wanting to do some limb-lining....if so, I would just find some strong green saplin's about the size of your wrist and load'em up.
    I sometimes will set out 2 or 3 10' rods secured in my bank rod holders and hang them out over the waters edge with Live bluegills and just enough line out to dangle the bait and make it ripple the top of the water....thus attracting a lot of attention. Since it is rod & reel with mono line....I loosen the drag up a bit and check them frequently. At night....Flatheads will cruise the shallow banks in search of food and theres no better way that I know of to attract attention than a bluegill thrashing around near the top of the water at the banks edge. Deadly tactic on some of our " Lakes " here. Hope this helps. Good Luck!:cool2:

15. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Thanks for the info John! I will also have to try the rod and reel tactic you mentioned asap!!!

16. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Brian -

I use shot 3ft. pvc pipes and push them about 2ft. into the ground. i use 113lb. rope pretty much to tie to the pvc, as for catching anything, i havnt, then agian, im in a creek most the time, so that is probaby why. But i will get a picture of the set up and post it on here. Hope i helped with the pole part.

17. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    sorry for the double post, but i got the pictures for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope these help at least a little