Bank Pole Questions

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by sadam, Apr 28, 2008.

1. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey everyone just wanted to ask anyone if they know where I can get some eight foot long 1/2 inch diameter fiber glass poles. My father-in-law has some nice bank poles made out of them but when I asked him where he got them he said the Premier Sheep store in town which no longer carries them. Also I'd love to hear any tips you bank pole veterans have. Thanks for all your help you guys have been very helpful in the past. Hope everyone has had a chance to get out and hammer some cats this year. :big_smile:

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    do they have to be fiberglass? if so the only ones that I know of are 7 - 7andhalf foot... great price too

3. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Flathead Steve thanks for the post. I think your right because I was looking on the internet and all I'm see is 7 footers and 6 footers which I think would both work. However the 7 footers are only coming in the 3/8 diameter which I think would be a little wimpy what do you think?

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    well I just happen to know of a baitshop here in DES MOINES called CASEY"S BAIT AND TACKLE that carries 100% fiberglass rods 7 - 7.5 foot that have a 50lb line rating.. these rods are excellent! not sure on the diameter but they are broomsticks and have double footed stainless guides I have two of them. I think they run about 25$.. they are called FIRECAST GAME FISH, if you need any more info let me know.

5. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    most farm supply stores should carry what your looking for. they are actually electric fencing posts. You should be able to buy them by the bundle. Im not sure what part of iowa your in but i got some at theisens farm and home.

6. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey thanks for the reply lisaandjohn, I just went and checked out Theisens and they didn't have any in stock but they do have them there. I'll have to check out some stores around home someone ought to have them in stock.

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Premier sheeps 2008 catalog shows 7' 3/8" fiber rods and 6' 1/2 " fiber rods.
    They show 2 websites to order from.
    I found them in their fences that work catalog. Try www.horsefencesthatwork.com and you may find them.
    Premiers other web site is www.premier1supplies.com

good luck
    just

8. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey thanks I was at their website earlier this week and saw that so I guess my father in law doesn't really know what he is talking about. Go figure huh? haha. But I live 10 minutes away from Premier so I'll go out their this weekend to check things out. Thanks a lot everyone for the help.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    go with pvc pipe ten ft long works great for me and they last a long time

10. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah I know a lot of people who use PVC pipe, and I know they are a whole hell of a lot cheaper to set up. I just prefer the fiberglass rods because I have seen a lot of big fish caught off them and they seem to last longer than anything else. Also there is a bungee cord rig that you put on them that give the pole and line a bit of a break from the fighting fish.

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    yup both are great to use hope you find your fiberglass poles you looking for

12. Brian Moyse

Brian Moyse New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    I have a friend who's family runs a golf course. When they replace the flag sticks he gives me a bunch of them. They are really stout and best of all they are free!

I bet you can buy some or get some free at golf courses. The ones he gets me are in really great shape too.

I just cut off the brass fitting at the base with a sharp hacksaw.

Brian