bank pole idea

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by head hunter, Nov 11, 2009.

1. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    anybody got some home made bank poles ideas to share ????? I use rebarr for rod holders,, a good way to save from scuffing the butts of rods up is to use pipe insulation .(the foam kind that slides over water lines,) just cut it down the middle and wrap it around the rebarr and tape . works great for me ,,so far

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Randy thanks for sharing a good tip.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
  4. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    Never saw that ,,thanx for the post ,,those look better than mine !:sad2: lol,,

5. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Okay I'm confused,what I envision when you say bank pole is a flexible rod stuck in the bank with a line and hook on it,used to fish for cats like a setline or limbline,set it bait it,come back later and (hopefully) collect your fish. What are you all talking about rod holders or what?

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Yeah.

7. festus

festus New Member

I think Randy's talking about rod holders for bank fishermen using rod and reel.

But when I was a teenager on a budget, I used to do this thing called bank pole fishing. I would cut about a dozen or two strong cane poles about 10' to 14' long. Back then you could buy a good spool of cheap braided line for 50 cents for several hundred yards. I'd get at least 50 pound test and tie on trot line hooks, which back then were probably $1.50 per hundred. Sinkers were very cheap, too, so I had very little invested in this. All I had to do was bait up right before dark, throw into a promising looking hole on one of several creeks I lived close to. I'd have the end of the canes very sharp and just jam them deeply into the bank and come back later for checking. Most of the time I'd catch mainly bullheads, small channels, and turtles, but it kept me out of trouble. You don't hear about this kind of thing anymore

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    me and my uncle made swoem up years ago out of 8 foot 2" pvc pipe..we tied the line at end and at several places down the pole and in some cases tied to a tree in case of moby dick :wink: we caught flats up to 20 lbs on them and lsot a few that werent tied.. i enjoyed it

9. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    sorry for confusion ,,,I ment bank rod holders ,,( brain fart ),

10. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Some 5/16" steel rod welded to some 1-1/2" thinwall tubing such as emt is what I use. If you bank fish around a lot of rochs bring some pieces of 1-1/2" pvc and prop it up with large rocks. Put the butt of your rod in that.

11. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    LOL TJD,,, it's OK as long as you eat the evidence!!!:wink::smile2:

13. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Snagged 2, Thank you for serving our country.

We did eat the evidence. We were catching stuff for a church fish fry, therefore, we baptised them all in crisco.

14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I use a 2 1/2 foot long peice of light angle iron with a 10 to 12 inch peice of either pvc clamped onto one end or a 10 to 12 inch peice of 2 1/2 inch conduit welded on,shove the one end into the ground and put you rod butt into the pipe. the angle iron I use is 1 1/2x 1 1/2 and don't move if you get a foot and half shoved into the ground,very sturdy!

I also fish some rocky areas where putting anything into the ground is iffy,so I've been thinking of making a simple cross bar system to hold the holders and some collapible feet that will fold out and get rocks set on them.

I fiqure after buying a torch and welder and a whole garage full of other tools there's no reason to pay for store bought when I can have custom!
    Plus it's more fun to design and build your own stuff then catch fish with it.