Bank or Boat?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by lookin_4_moby, Aug 28, 2009.

1. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I was wondering what everyone else thought of this. Do you think it's easier to catch fish from a boat than it is from the bank? Also does it take more fishing knowledge to be more successful from one or the other? I'm not talking about boating ability just plain knowledge of the river and the fish you're after. I personally think this is about even with each having different advantages or disadvantages to the other but lemme know what you guys think.

2. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I fish from a boat 95 percent of the time and I think its pretty easy on the other hand bank fishing can be more challenging you are restricted as to places you can fish you have more wild life and human run ins lol...yeah I took my boys to a pay lake couple weeks ago I am so use to boat fish I stayed tangled up is tree branches and everthing else:tounge_out:

3. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well...

I just started boat fishing and i take the boat out about 2x a day on most days.. Its a little tricky locating the fish and some spots i would say for sure hold fish and i wouldint even see a fish on the finder.Trying to anchor your self unloading the boat and all this stuff is a challenge for sure.But i think its worth it due to there are great spots you cant get to from the bank and also you cant drift fish from the bank...

Ive caught bigger fish from the bank but ive just started boating 2-3 weeks ago... so we will see what happens.

But depending on the gear you carry when you bank fish and what areas and what you go threw i would have to say bank fishing is way more of a challenge.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    For me, my knowledge is equally used for both bank fishing or boating, there is no difference in that respect.

I've been off the bank for 33 years and learned a lot. Then 3 years ago I started fishing in boats with BoC guys and a whole new word opened up for me. Nothing can teach you more knowledge than being in a boat and learning bottom structures and how the fish relates to them. Off the bank you are only guessing....and guessing involves luck.

I still bank fish 95% of the time and I say bank fishing is a lot harder.

5. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    It can easily go both ways depending on your surroundings and equipment and the temperment of the fish you have on your line

6. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Thing about boat fishing is, if you don't like the spot you are on, pull the anchor and motor up or down stream to a dozen other good looking spots. Moving around on the river and watching the depth finder is a real education for sure. You would not believe the strange bottom features I could show you on the Mississippi river. I just wish I knew how to fish some of them.

7. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A boat no doubt..You boat fisherman really want to challenge yourselves,park that boat and try a little bank fishing..

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In my opinion boat fishing is much much better than bank fishing. I think my catch ratio is up like 2000% from a boat compared to being on a bank. I would think that boat fishing takes more knowledge because you are faced with unlimited places to fish from a boat. From the bank you pretty much just have to fish the places that are accessible.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with this post. I would add that there are days that the fish will not cooperate, and I like to take the boat and good depth finder and just search for new areas to use on another trip. This way I gain something from a bite less day. I'll stay with a boat.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I absolutely agree that the boat is the way to go. You may haul in a few nice ones from the bank, but day in and day out, the boat will earn you more PBs. I would QUIT catfishing if the bank was my only option.

BB in SC

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d say it,s definitely easier from a boat.You still gotta know your river,but you got a little leeway if the 1st spot you pick for the night aint producing.I,ve had several nice cat boats in my life,I,m not bankfishing by choice,I just don,t have the cash at the present time for another one right now.When I had a boat and my favotite hole wasn,t putting out,it was a lot easier to kick her over and hit another spot than it is from shore,having to pack everything up and travel.I think fishing from the bank makes you fish a little smarter,cause if you make the wrong decision before you leave the house,you,re screwed for the night.I try and put some serious thought into where they,ll be feeding that night,if I was boatfishing I,d do more checking around trying to find them coming or goin.:wink:

12. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I agree with Bill and Mickey and Kitsinni..

BUT, I've catfished for YEARS off the bank, I love that too.

I love it both ways. As long as I am able to go.

Bank fishing is more like sitting in a deer stand, boat fishing is more like still-hunting your way through the woods. And I do both of those too. :cool2:

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id like to have a boat to find out:wink:

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have a boat and for some reason this year i've done better off the shore, everytime i've had the boat out i haven't done nearly as well :eek:oooh:

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Yeah,that boats probaly jinxing you.Being as your a fellow Pennsylvanian, I,ll bite the bullet and take that jinx off your hands for nothing.I,d usually charge for hauling away a boat with that much bad mojo,but I,ll make an exception just once!:smile2::crazy:.

16. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i have done both in past but right now i am bank fishing with a boat you can get to log jams and deeper holes then from bank but easier to lift a fish from the bank

17. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    If you have the choice a boat is def the better way to go. you are more mobile, you can fish the same waters anyone else can from the bank and some they can't get to, you can also fish a few different methods they cant from the bank. for example you can drift and bump. way more advantages to a boat than the bank. hell if they aren't biting where you are camped out on the bank you are for the most part stuck there, or made to pack and move all your gear. In a boat you just real in, pull anchor and choose the next honey hole.

18. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just narrow it all down to this, "If the fish are there.. and you present the bait they WANT you'll catch them." Boats get you in targeted locations better.. and do put more fish in the boat.. but its really 50-50 on the catch rate. In parentheses is the main key.:wink:

19. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think it is easier to fish from a boat. If the fish are not biting in one spot you can move to another. But bank fishing you can only move so far. But some people move too much in a boat and reduce the amount of time spent actually fishing, giving bank fishing a slight advantage.

20. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    yeah with a boat you can get to some spots that aren't accessible by bank fisherman but can't you also get to spots from the bank that aren't accessible by boat say a deep hole or log jam located between two shallow water areas or around a bunch of fallen timber in the water that's impassible by boat? Just a thought, I'll be honest though I've always felt better about my chances of success of catching fish and hanging a big cat out of a boat.