bank lines,throw lines,whatever you want to call them

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by catman79, Aug 17, 2009.

1. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i just want to get peoples opinionson these other methods of fishing.myself i dont believe in them,what is the sport in driving up to a tree branch and pulling a fish off a hook?is it me or is that just lazy fishing?where is the satisfaction in doing it?

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Most R&R catmen just do it for a chance at Bigger fish.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    No its not just lazy fishing.
    Some look at fishing as a sport.
    Some look at fishing as a way to feed their family.
    Believe it or not some look at fishing as a way to torture fish.

If you want it to be a sport then thats the way you should fish.
    But please don't force your opinions on those who want/need to fish for eating.

Have a good 1
    just

4. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    well catman79 we already know your opinion on this subject and that you go around destroying other peoples property by cutting them. So are you just trying to start fights by bringing up this subject:confused2:

5. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    And as I said before it is legal where im from, so its your choice. Do I do it no. But I do respect it, because it is legal when your lines are marked correctly. Times are hard and some people do feed their families by setting these lines. compare the price of spool of twine and hooks vs rod and reel ect:wink:

6. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I used to set them all the times and really it's almost as good as fishing because you never know if you going to have a dink a monster or a huge gar. I left it alone because of the decline in fish size and numbers some I had to waste because I didn't check them in time and they laid there dead for a day. I'm moved more to rod and reel because to me it's more challenging and it's more exciting to reel up a fish that taking drag in the current. nothing wrong with it but it really kills fisheries if a lot of people are doing. ask anybody that came to our central iowa gathering this year. the river was littered with them and the biggest fish caught at the river was 1lb 11oz and there were only 2 fish caught in three days with 50 people fishing. that's the biggest point I'm trying to make because I've seen it first hand it 2 different states

7. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i was not trying to start a fight by asking,i just wanted to know peoples opinions,yes it is legal as long as its done correct.when its not is when i destroy them.i know times are hard and understand people need to feed their families,i just would like to see my boy be able to catch a 50 pounder when he gets older,thats not going to happen because of people catching them the OTHER ways and keeping them,if they do.he and i fish for the sport and quality time together,not just to get the biggest ones we can

8. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    well said:wink:

I just got a little heated on the circle hook post,when everybody was crumbags that set lines. Also just because you set bank lines ect... don't always mean they are after the big ones. Imo there are just as many people that keep the big ones fishing on rod and reel, as there is on bank lines ect...

Imo, I think we are all screwed on trophy cats in the years to come,unless a length/weight limit is inforced on all forms of catfishing.

9. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    There were people using set lines to catch fish WAY before there was ever such a thing as a rod, much less a reel. Fishing began as a way to feed people, same as hunting. The idea of fishing and hunting as "sports" evolved after the rich and powerful people with more wealth and time than common sense began to invent ways to entertain themselves. They didn't NEED to catch fish....they had servants to do it for them, or enough wealth to buy all the fish they could ever eat...while the peasants did it to put food in their bellies, and feed their children something other than bread and gruel. Luckily, we live in a world today where even us common folk are well enough off that we don't have to wake up everyday worrying if we or our children are going to starve to death. We can afford a little leisure time of our own...do things we enjoy, just because we can, rather than working sun up to sun down, seven days a week just to stay alive. Some people play Golf...some people sit on their butts in front of the tv...and some people hunt and fish. In fact, most people today that do hunt and fish do it because they enjoy it, and the fact that they can eat whatever they kill or catch just makes it extra good. Yet...there are lots of us still out here that hunt and fish to put food in our bellies...and the fact that we enjoy being out in nature, and have a good time while filling up our freezers makes it even better. It's for those people, both the "sportsmen/women" and the "catch and eat" that game rules and regulations were put into effect...to conserve our natural resources so that they could continue to be used and enjoyed by future generations. However...it's true, and I keep saying it, there are those out there who will always be out for themselves, take more than they need, or more than they can use, AND take yours, TOO! And it's THOSE bungholes that are running 100 lines, with no id tags, 24/7 for months on end!
    I think we all agree that as long as people fish within the regulations, then all is well. I think we can also agree that it's aggravating to see someone work outside those regulations to their own benefit, at the expense of everyone else. Thing is, if a person doesn't agree with a certain regulation, because they see and can prove that it's doing more harm than good, then they have an obligation to try and make a change. If they see someone breaking the law, then they have an obligation to report it to someone whose job it is to do something about it. But stirring up the mud just because we don't agree with how people think or behave only causes hate, and discontent, and we can all do with as little of that in our lives as possible.

Peace outside!

10. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    like i said im not trying to start any fights,im not trying to force my opinion,i just wanted other peoples opinions is all.one thing i want to say is i would bet a weeks paycheck that most people are not running lines to just feed themselves,i know of people that run them only for the purpose to sell the fish,so the bigger they get the more money they get.its people like that,that make me sick.i also agree that it is a lot of work by bank,also a majority of people that do it use a boat,around here anyway.if their families are that hungry maybe they shouldnt have a boat huh?that could buy a lot of food ya know....so in ending this im not trying to be a @$$ or anything just wanted some opinions,i got them and thank you everybody.

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    You don't have to have a boat to set bank/throw lines.
    Just access to the river.
    But if you have a boat it is easier to find a place where somebody isn't messing with them.
    And if you are jobless with a boat and think, as most of us do, that you will have a job soon then why sell your boat? You can feed your family with fish if you can get to good fishing spots. Getting to good fishing spots if why we all got a boat in the first place. Remember?

Here is the correct way to handle illegal fishing.
    TIP 1 800 532-2020

Have a good 1
    just

12. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    when i caught that spoonie i was catfishing at ft randall dam with treble hooks and chicken liver,i was reeling in my line and hooked into it on his back,i got it in took the pic and let him go,he was out of the water maybe 20 seconds.i wouldnt keep one of those if it was 100 pounds,just take a pic and let it go.

13. Foreverdark

Foreverdark New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You know, I've done it. And not once did I think to myself, "This is more fun than rod n reel.". It is fun, can be tons of fun actually.

In the end though, so long as it is legal, I don't have an official opinion on it. The only time that I cut lines is when I find them on public lakes as I have been told several times by DNR that that is not legal.

14. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Anyone who thinks fishing with various "lines" is easy has never done it. I do it once or twice a year for a week at a time because I enjoy it. It definitely is not a "Lazy" way to fish.

15. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    As I've said elsewhere, if you like to eat catfish, jugging and trot lines is a great way to keep your freezer full. That said, you're not expending any time monitoring the line, waiting for just the right moment to grab it. You're not exercising any effort or skill setting the hook. You're not fighting the fish in to the bank, doing what's necessary to keep him on the hook and out of cover. You're merely landing an exhausted fish.

Sure, there's some strategy to it in finding the right spot, using the right bait, and so on, but that's pretty much it. You hang a line, and your job is done until you decided to swing by and look in on it. If I bait my kids' hooks and help them throw it out there, I don't take credit for the fish they catch. They're the ones watching the line and bringing the fish in, not me. I view the various forms of absentee fishing the same way. Sure, it's exciting to see big fish regardless of how they were caught, but I just don't see it as that much of an accomplishment, when it was caught on a jug line. When no one is there, the fish is catching itself in my opinion.

All that said, I have nothing against any fisherman, rod/reel or jug/trot/limb lining, that obeys the law and doesn't infringe on those around them. Just *please* be cognizant of how your activities might be affecting the world around you. I have the same expectations of *any* type of fisherman: try to avoid doing unnecessary harm or allowing unnecessary harm to come to the fish you have no intention of keeping.

16. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Mark your lines appropriately or I will check them for you, release the fish, take your hooks and go home feeling like a better man.

Do it legally, I may not like it, I may not do it, but I will not dispose of your leftovers...

17. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    and just like I put in another post, I refuse to believe that anyone on this site is so broke they can't afford food for their families because obviously you can afford internet, 4 dollar pack of hooks, line, weights and gas to get to where you going to set the lines or fish. that's a lame excuse imo just say "I like fish it's quite tasty like pupernickel bread" :smile2: not everyone is going to get that:smile2:

18. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

I beg to differ

19. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri

LoL! im selling my fish finder it means im lazy....

I mean geez ... Why dont you make a fishing pole and black smith some hooks and make your line out of your sock thread... You go buy all your stuff thats just plain lazy.:eek:oooh:

20. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well ive done it alot over the years

its a fun way to fish also driving up to a line seeing a jug bobb is excitting to me ,, then feeling 1 tug on the line is great also wondering what and how big it is :big_smile:

just like limb lines bouncing and tugging before ya see the fish ..

I mostly 99 %% of the time rod and reel fish the last 6 years or so ,, why you may ask well im just too lazzy to take time setting them up anymore ..

any time im on the water is fun to me fishing on what ever method it is and to me i love them all even noodling .

to me its more easy to just rod and reel fish for the day

instead of setting lines ,, keeping them baited and running them every 24 hours .

as far as rewarding i never looked at it 1 was better then the other its all rewarding to me on what ever method ya catch a fish :wink::big_smile:

ive done both many a time at same time also

some times i even caught more on rod and reel then set lines or jugs ,, then some times the set lines and jugs produced more then rod and reel fishin .

it all depends on time and effort put into both to me .