Bank Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Kerrlakecatmaster, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Kerrlakecatmaster

Kerrlakecatmaster New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Just wondering how many bank fisheringmen from nc was out there and how our brotherhood was doing ?

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've been bank fishing since I got here in '97. Had decent luck with gar and sunfish to an extent, but nothing much for catfish. Though I really wasn't targetting them that much. The hardest part, down in this area anyway, is finding water you can access and fish from the bank. There aren't a lot of lakes, and if you find one there may be one or two spots where you can actually get to the water. And the rivers are tough! You can usually finds spots around bridges, but there is normally someone else there already when you get down there because it's the only place on that stretch that you can access the bank at.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I fish off the bank around here. Mostly fish Gaston Lake, Roanoke River, Meherrin River, and sometimes Kerr Lake. The problem is that around here we dont have much bank access. Esspecialy in Gaston Lake. However we have been doing pretty good anyway and soon we are going to have our boats on the water.

Good luck.:)

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Is what that is! My buddies pontoon should be done any time now...I called him earlier to go hit the water from our bank spot, but haven't heard back...have to work tomorrow, so that must me he went without me...just my luck! Hopefully Sat. will be a fruitfull day on the Cape Fear!

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, Kerr Lake is the only bodie of water I know of around here that really has good bank access. They have a lot of parks and stuff you can fish at. On Gaston Lake it is almost all private. Some rich, snoby, folks that own land on the lake wanted to make it completely private but luckily it would be agaisnt the law.....stupid anti-fishing peta folks is what they are!:mad:

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I know the feeling...there are quite a few bodies of water down this way that there is absolutley no public access to. And several other that I can think of outside of the local area. The problem isn't that the rich that own the land are anti-fishing, it's just that they are greedy. They're elitest...and I'm going to sound wrong here, and I don't mean any sort of offense to anyone, but die hard bass fisherman are the same way. Look at it, anyone can catch a bass, it's not hard at all. I've caught thousands...but I was out fishing earlier this year, and my buddy and I were set up on a HUGE pod of 2-3" shad that the bass were coming up through and pounding! Now being the fisherman that we are, we realized that what these bass wanted was SHAD...so would drift bare hooks through the school of shad, snag one let it drift out of the school and get pounded almost every cast...Now some "bass anglers", in their $30,000 boat and $200 bait casting combos with 12# test came up flinging every plastic bait that didn't look like a shad under the sun, couldn't get a hit and actually critisized us and said we were,"Cheating"! But I guarantee that these guy's own some lakefront property somewhere, where they are the only ones allowed to fish...that sounds more like a cheater to me. It makes it extremely hard to find adequate shore fishing areas...

And on a side note, it sure felt good to be catching fish left and right on ultralight gear with 4# in a two man plastic boat with about $400 tied up in it, while those guys didn't do so well. In fact, we caught over 20 bass that day from 3-13lbs...they caught 3...from 1-3lbs. Who had the right idea may I ask?

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree, there's alot more ignorant bass fisherman out there then good ones. It really sucks, I have seen the same kind of thing.

Zakk:rolleyes:

8. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    I agree, went to kerr last weekend, while drifting for cats, had a bass boat fly wide open by me, he went in between myself and another boat that was crappie fishing and we where only about 30 yards apart. bout flipped my little boat....wish i had about a 6 oz lead weight tied to an extra rod, i could have flung at him.
    but that may would have caused a quarrel
    good luck,
    Mike

9. Rickb6959

Rickb6959 New Member

State:
    Clayton NC
    Just take a air horn with you. Give it a 30 sec Blast, It will scare the Crappie out them and make them slow down.

10. Tar_River_kid

Tar_River_kid New Member

State:
    NC- Nash county
    I fish the banks of the TAR- RIVER, I do ok. getting to the bank is the main problem. Most places you can drive to are over fished.

11. Beagle

Beagle New Member

One thing to do that can help you get into those "too thick" areas upstream and down from bridge access areas is get in there in the winter, and now when there is little green on the trees and not much groth on the ground yet. Bring your loppers and pruning shears, get a littl distance from the bridge and then start clearing your self a path. Cut a couple of small spots along the bank and you'll have some access points when the weather gets nice and the green comes out. Don't clear a path all the way back to the bridge, cause you don't want to advertise you spots, if you can help it. You will have to fight a little thick stuff intitially, but you will have a couple of spots that most folks won't find. Bring your hand shears with you each time and clip a little to keep it clear.