Bank Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catman849, Sep 14, 2008.

1. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am bank fishing the TN river and although I am catching some fish in the shallow water I can't quite get the technique down for long casts. I am already using a big 10' rod with a spinning reel and about 3 oz of weight, any advice on how to get further casts??

2. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    it all depends on your line and how smoothly it comes off the reel i know that on some of my rods i cant cast very far due to the fact that the line doesnt come off the reel as smoothly as on the other rods sometimes a longer rod isnt really whats needed i actually cast furthest with my 6' rod hope this helps and if your using mono you might want to switch to braid in my oppinion it comes off the reel much better

3. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Hey Ben, I bank fish on the Miss and Mo. river here in St. louis. Both have a strong flow of water so I use bigger weights and poles.

I use a 14ft surf rod with a big river spinnig reel.
    Its rig up with 80lb power pro, going to a three way rig.
    My leader line is 50lb berkley big game, and the sinker line is 30lb cajun red.
    I went with the 30lb so that I can sling a 5-8oz bank sinker with ease.
    A bigger rod seems to give it more whip in your cast.
    And to me power pro is the best line out there for big rivers. It cast good and smooth, and you can get some strong knots. Hope some of this works for ya.

Good luck

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    ben, there are so many factors to consider but first what rod and reel are you using? second what line are you using. next what are you using for bait? and what kind of distance are you getting now and whats your goal?

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It depends on the weight and the size of the bait.

6. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    just do like i do have your wife hold the weight and swim way out there and let it go :wink:

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    weight,size of bait,type and size of line,even the stiffness of your rod can affect distance.
    even how much line you have out from the end of your pole to the sinker can affect your cast.with a 10 foot pole,i would leave about three to four feet of line hanging,or just enough to keep it from dragging the ground when you cast.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Distance-Casting---Fishing-Rod&id=1194721

here is an article that might help.
    also,if you really need to cast farther,down size your line a little and use something like berkley xl,instead of like the big game or something similar.a line that is limp will throw a lot farther than one that is stiff.i use 12 pound bps excel for channels,i am not exactly enthused ny this line,but i make it work just because it casts very good and is cheap.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    You should be able to get out pretty far with that 10 ft rod. Perhaps you need to find a nice hole closer to the bank, As the water begins to cool you are going to need to hit the deeper water anyway. Good luck to you

9. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What I do is practice on land with egg sinkers of different weights. There are three keys that I find helpful: matching the weight of the terminal tackle to the stiffness and length of the rod, getting the right amount of line between rod tip and terminal tackle at the beginning of the cast (which is why I love slip bobbers), and getting the right timing on the release.

In the interests of full disclosure, I should point out that I'm still very much "hit or miss" on my casting and my best distances are probably on the order of 100-150 ft.

10. chrisb

chrisb New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    a trick i learned is to take cooking spray and spray the line before youcast it helps it come off the spool quicker

11. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    never thought of that chrisb

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    be kinda slick to hold the spool when trying to throw it?

13. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    didnt think of that either lol lmao

14. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've just started working on a casting technique called the "Brighton Cast". Search youtube and there are some good videos showing how it's done. And for even further casting check out the "pendulum cast". These casts are done with long surf rods. Some of the guys are casting like 200+ yards. :crazy:

15. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Seems like some of the replies are kinda humorous. On that note I've thought about getting someone whos in a boat to hold my bait while they drive out into the main channel then just toss it out into the water.:smile2:

16. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    patrick just remember what i told you about the pendulum, safety first.

17. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Don't be afraid to fish shallow and or deep is the way I go when I am out there on the banks.

18. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    right off the top if you use a shockleader, a leather workglove, and depending on the rod's casting range try a 5oz sinker. also depending on what lb test line you're using that'll add some distance. get back to us and let us know all the particulars. rod, reel, line, ect

19. Daave

Daave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Patrick,

What kind of lure/bait setup are you using when trying the Pendulum casting? I knew nothing about it till I googled/youtubed a fair bit of it to get an understanding of the mechanics behind it. I saw that you had to have a Shock Leader if you plan on using a Pedulum cast. Seems pretty powerful under the right conditions, but what I am wondering is:

What happends to the bait? If you have a bluegill or shad I could see just slinging it off with that much centrifugal force. Have you had any problems with slinging your bait off?

here are some resources I found:

[youtubevid]cX9ikJUtWt8[/youtubevid]
    [youtubevid]6a8991PtpaI[/youtubevid]

20. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    Daave, let me answer some of your questions regarding your research. first the guy in that video is tommy farmer currently the premier U.S. caster. IF you decide to try the pendulum you MUST use a shockleader the common rule of thumb is 10lbs for every oz casted but some guys like tommy and myself will bust 50lb test casting 5oz so i use 80. second you need a lot of casting room if you decide to try a full out pendulum remember the sinker is coming off the tip at 200 plus mph and i have seen breakoffs travel a 1/4 of a mile and embed in the aluminum siding on a house, travel 800ft and embed in a car radiator, and knock a guy off his feet 200+yds away and he thogut it was a rifle shot. so imagine if you try this cast in a crowded area. now if you're looking for a comprimise google fishing pendulum cast or "aerialised" off the ground cast these 2 can be used for fishing but not in a crowded area for that your best cast is going to be the brighton cast. this cast can be done in a crowded area and to prove my point whenever i give a seminar i always have someone stand 3 feet away on both sides and i can still hit a 500ft cast. next you're not going to be heaving live baits these distances they just won't survive the impact did you kow that on the average 100 yd cast your sinker hits the water at 40mph? not many living creatures can withstand that kind of force so this is a dead bait only approach. now depending on where you're fishing there are some tricks to get a live bait way out and maybe we can discuss them on another thread.