bank fishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jun 30, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was wondering if casting right on the bank is beter than casting 15 yards of of a bank i know they catch alot on trot lines so is shallow better at night than out in deeper water on a lake or river

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    That can depend on several things.. water temp, thermocline, etc etc.

Best advice I can give you is find where the bait fish are and cast in that general area. Look for bream popping the top of the water or big minnows skipping along the surface. If your stranded to bankfishing only you can purchase a depth finder that uses a radio signal from the transducer to the unit to see what is going on. They aren't the best of depth finders but when ya learn to read them right they can become pretty handy in bank fishing situations.

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    What conditions are your banks? Need more info. Describe the bank and the water, is there current, are there any debris or rocks? As a general rule if there are larger fish there eating the smaller fish then the smaller fish go closer to the bank where the bigger fish don't fit. However that is also variable... if you have a steep bank there may not be an area that shallow so tell us what your dealing with.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    usuly long 20 foot flats , im guesing they wont be way out in the middle of a lake at night i would think ten or fiften yards or closer