Bank fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by channel 27, Dec 16, 2006.

1. channel 27

channel 27 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does anyone have any pointers on bank fishing. We have just flatheads and channel cats around here I think. (stockton lake)

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    A topic this general in nature could take hours for each post, but I'll give it a shot. Put bait on your hook, tie it to a line, throw it out in the water, and catch a fish. If you want more specific information, I'll try to help, but I ned to know exactly what kind of info you are looking for. Oh yeah, "Don't fall in".

3. channel 27

channel 27 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Lol ok to be more specific, can I even catch them in the lake during winter or should I go to the river. If I can what baits are the best.

4. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LOL ! To answer your questions ...

Yes, you can catch catfish in a lake during the winter ! And yes again, you can catch them in the river.

You should be a lttle more specific if you could.

What lake and/or what river are you referring to ? That can determine the best bait for that.

Generally speaking, try to use the most common forage fish found in the body of water that you are fishing.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Ok, I did not mean to insult with my last post. Here is some good honest advice. If you are bank fishing lakes, you need to be able to reach the deeper holes. Try to find depth maps of the lake you are fishing. You can check with your state DNR. They ususally have a lot of maps. I am lucky because the lake I usually fish has its deepest spot within reach of a 6' rod. When it is not, I have a couple of 12' and 10' surf rods that I can really launch out there. As far as bait, the best I has found is shad, which is even harder to find now than the cats. So I turn to chicken liver. With a little practice on the technique of lobbing, you can out chicken kiver out pretty far. If you use a panty hose cover over your chicken liver, you can cast out as far as you can. I personally stay away from the panty hose.
    Shrimp also work well this time of year and are easier to keep on the hook. and so is beef liver. Stay away from using circle hooks now because the bite is not as strong as during warmer months. You need to be able to feel the bite and set the hook at the right time. I like Daiichi Bleeding bait Octopus Wide gap in 4/0 or 3/0 now, with a smaller portion of bait.
    I hope this helps some and please keep posting on BOC and asking questions. That is how we all learn new things.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    On the other hand, I've been catching plenty of channels in water less than 4 ft deep with the nearest deeper water 1/2 mile away. The channels are running from 16-24". The water temp has been near 60 degrees. Shrimp has been good so far this winter, haven't been able to cast up much in the way of shad or sunfish in my net. If there is an area that is shallow, but drops off not far from it to deeper water, that too can be good. Catfish will come into shallows near deeper water to feed. The area I've been fishing is somewhat unusual because of the distance to deeper water, but its reich in food, especially sunfish.

7. channel 27

channel 27 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    1 more question: Does time of day matter. Also thanks for your input it will be very helpful when I try again tomorrow. At Stockton lake the low will be 50 tonight and 66 for a high tomorrow. Hoping for some goooood fishing.

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, Brent... and good luck tomorrow..:big_smile:

~~~~~~~~~~
    A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

9. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    fish stumps, brush, and drop offs with live blue guills. And cut the tail off before u throw it out. Good luck and welcome to the BOC

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Catfish may bite day or night, high noon or midnight. This time of year, daytime is a good time to fish. Cloudy days are sometimes better, the fish will come up into shallower water because it doesn't heat up as fast. On the other hand, when the water temperatures are cool, they may move into shallows during the warmth of the day as the sun warms the water. The temperatures you state are ok for catfishing.

11. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Hell yes, the record fish that came out of lake Texoma was caught off the bank. He slipped an 8/0 hook through a shad and lobed it out there on a big pole.

12. channel 27

channel 27 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks guys, i went again today and at least got some bites.

13. channel 27

channel 27 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i think i'm going to try some shad next i've been using worms

14. channel 27

channel 27 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    has anyone here tried goldfish i saw them at my bait shop for the first time today.

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Goldfish are a good bait. Check the size of the goldfish at the bait shop compared to what a pet store sells feeder gold fish for, also the prices. Sometimes, pet stores sell the for less, but don't often have the bigger ones.

16. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    im new to the boc but i to am having problems. i fish an unknown river in northern cali. i catch little babies all the time but never any eaters. any advice would be great.

17. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana

What are you using for bait?

18. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Do not overcast the fish. While not true for every lake/river are for every season there are times when fish will be in the shallows feeding and chasing baitfish.

19. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    ive tried everything...worms, minnows(dead and alive), sardine, anchovie. Its weird cuase the bite from the babies is usually non-stop, but big fish just dont hook up. the river is about 30 ft wide has a pretty good current and is probably 5 to 15 ft deep. i fish in a spot with lots of overhanging trees and good holes so i know there are fish there just dont know what to get them with. How do i know there are fish??? when using worms one day about 10 ft away from me my buddy landed and 17#.

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Try using bigger baits. Get a castnet if you don't have one, learn to use, and catch your bait from the water you fish. Not always easy in the winter.