Bank Fishing?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by HOKIEFISHER, May 4, 2009.

1. HOKIEFISHER

HOKIEFISHER New Member

State:
    Halifax, Va
    I live in Halifax County, We usally fish on the Staunton side at Staunton River State park or on the Banister river, and I was wondering where some other good places to fish off the bank are.

2. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Will, Welcome to the boc!Now for your question I rarely fish the staunton and I fish from a boat but there are some very good spots on the dan you can fish from the bank.Behind tuck air port,several spots in southboston,holiday shores,hyco at 58 bridge and many more.You find the water there will be a place to fish.

3. HOKIEFISHER

HOKIEFISHER New Member

State:
    Halifax, Va
    Thanks Chris I went down at the boat ramp in South Boston one time but the water was to high I plan to go back there, I here alot of people fish behind the airport, but I dont know how to get back there. A couple of weeks ago week caught 2 #25 flats, 2 #10 blues and a couple small ones at the park but I'm looking for some new places, has anybody fished behind the Banister Dam in Halifax?

4. Puddin_114

Puddin_114 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Will, welcome to the BOC!:smile2: Its like screemin said, its alot of places to fish from the bank in those areas, just may take you a little time to find a few of them... thats all we do is bank fish. I've never catfished behind that dam, just white bass but i'm sure u could probably snag a few there. Only advice i can give u for bank fishin on the Dan is be sure to check out the bank good, there are alot of places on that river that have undercut banks from so much erosion from floods,etc. Last summer behind Reaves lawn/garden about 100yrds below where we were a 50 - 60ft section of the bank just plummeted into the river without warning. Good luck, keep ur lines tight and happy fishing!!:wink:

5. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    If you know where the airport is just drive straight down that road until you get to the river.Oh you need a 4wheel drive it's pretty rough getting there.The holes have solid bottoms in them.

6. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Without a doubt you need 4wheel drive but theres a helleva nice hole there. The river is REAL high and muddy so might want to wait a few days.

7. sobofisherman

sobofisherman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Whats going on guys? About the airport, you gotta be really careful going there cant tell you how many people we have pulled out this year, that had 4 wheel drive, and if you do make it. Its a hard spot to get cause someone is always there. Good hole though. Went over by the train trestle today and them guys were pulling out stringers full of blues and channels, no size just alot.

8. HOKIEFISHER

HOKIEFISHER New Member

State:
    Halifax, Va
    Thanks, I am ready to start fishen I have been working in a 16 Lund boat that I've been working on but its not ready. Its been raining so much its hard to fish.

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Love the Lund. Great boats. Ride the chop like a champ. Lifetime warranty on the hull. Good luck fixing her up.

10. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hey sobo, they shoulda bought yota trucks, they wouldn't have gotten stuck.:smile2: They are taking eater blues from 5-20lbs out by the truckload by the railroad trestle since thurs nite.

11. sobofisherman

sobofisherman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea a guy come by the house thursday on a lawn mower with his lil trailer full!! lol. Took my little boy under there friday night and he caught his first blue on his zebco 202!! And your right about the yota.