bank fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by kaous, Apr 15, 2009.

1. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    Hey guys i was wondering if you all could lend me some tips on bank fishing for catfish. Like what should i look for when i am fishing in a spot and how long i should be in a spot before i should move on. thanks for any answers to my questions gl to you all out there ! .:wink:

2. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    My favorite spot to bank fish is on a smaller river close to the dam. From one day to the next you never know how the engineer will have the water running. So The first thing I do is to survey the flow. I try to find where the water eddies or has a back flow. I seem to have better luck fishing these areas. Placing the bait at the edge of the stronger current where fish can come out of the slower water to feed. It also helps to know something about the structure in the river. Knowing were a good log jam or rock pile is will greatly increase your catch.

The best thing you can do is get out there and start to learn an area. The more you fish a river, lake, or where ever the better you'll learn it and the more efficient your fishing will become.

Good luck.

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You didnt state whether or not you were fishing in a river or lake and what kind of cat you were fishing for.

River fishing, I like to look for a feeder creek coming into it, doesnt have to be big, just some flowing water, if that is not available I like to look for structure, trees that are in the water, large rocks, overhangs, then if I cant find those I look for deeper holes where they might be holding. Night fishing I fish about the same way, only difference is I will try some shallower water and keep my line closer to the banks.

The next thing I take into consideration is the bait. If I am fishing for channel cat, I usually bring some chicken liver, never failed on that. For blues and flatheads, I like to use perch, whole for flats and variety of cut/whole/fillets for blues. I have learned that fishing for cats in a river the best bait is something that the catfish naturally feed on like crawfish, perch, what ever is in that river.

As for time, usually I dont spend more than an hour in one spot if they are not biting. That give me time to try diffent rigs, different spots and different baits.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I do a lot of bank fishing myself..My boat has been on the mend,plus I personally enjoy bank fishing as much as fishing out of my boat..Any ways I move around a lot..I usually use a 30 minute rule, nothing hits in 30 minutes I move..Not far though, I may just reel it in a little,throw in a different area or walk down the bank a little further..I sometimes like to chum the area I'm fishing to attract the fish..You can buy the chum at Bass pro or any old bait shop but I prefer to make my own..I usually use fermented grain..I also invested in a portable depth/fish finder..I bought the Hummingbird Smartcast..Its basically just a watch and a float, you put the float on one of your poles and toss it out and the depth and fish will pop up on your watch..Use a slip bobber rig and adjust the depth till you find where the fish are biting..Use lots of poles and rig them differently with slip bobbers,carolina rigs or 3 way swivel.Experiment with lots of different techniques.And one of the most important things I think is use fresh bait..I usually catch my own bait with a cast net or a dip net..Or just catch some bream and cut em up for bait..To me catching bait is part of the trip..Talk to people who are fishing in the same areas and ask around the local baitshops..You'd be surprised..I hope some of these modest tips helps you out and I'm sure some more members will come along with some more great tips..

5. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    i usually fish on the cumberland river around clarskville. thanks for all the info so far guys. usually when i am out there i go for anything that bites hehe. once again ty for the info gl to yha's. o n btw how do u thanks people on these posts i cant' seem to find the button for it hehe:tounge_out:.
    :smile2:

6. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Well, I guess you've figured this one out based on your "personal best" post :cool2: Since I sold my boat over a year ago I've caught far more catfish from shore then when I boat fished. My personal best (25lbs) came from the boat, but I've caught far more in numbers from shore. I havent' seen a pattern for when cats bite. It could be morning, noon, or night and I've had fairly equal success. The bites tend to come in waves, but no certain time or frequency, so I don't bother moving around. I think if cats are feeding they are typically moving around in search of food and will find your bait with those super sniffers.