bank fishing

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by hadleytodd32705, Feb 19, 2009.

1. hadleytodd32705

hadleytodd32705 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i fish on the mississippi river in west tennessee havent fished at night but i heared it s the best ime to catfish on the ban is at night is that true night fishing is better on bank anywhere

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Todd. My opinion is any time you have to fish is the best. I do about the same night or day it seems.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I bank fish 100% of the time and all my biggest fish have come in the middle of the night.

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I bank fish most of the time, All my 50#+ fish have been caught in the day time. I thank the best time is when you want to go.There are some catfish feeding at all hours.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Dale is right. Go when you can, even if its at high noon.:wink:
    My biggest flathead at 40 lbs came a little after noon on an overcast day from the bank. I have caught quite a few flats over 20 lbs during daylight.
    You just have to fish different locations.
    If you find them and place a bait in front of them they will eat it.:cool2:
    Night fishing, is alot more comfortable in the heat of summer and is an excellent time to fish, but if you cant get out at night go during the day.

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Some of our best Blues last year were from the bank. Fished mud flats 3'-5' of water. We were on Ft Gibson lake on NE OLKA. We always fish into the wind.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Todd Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. The best time to fish is when you get the time. You will get many opinions on night vs day. Just go fishing.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I agree that you will get many different thoughts of day vs. night. My thought it that flatheads are easier at night, with dawn and dusk being the absolute best. But for blues, it really doesn't matter when you get out.

9. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Fishing is a anytime/anywhere sport.

10. KINGCARP

KINGCARP New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have no boat so i bank fish all the time.my biggest was at dark 75 pd blue. caught several 40.s to 60,s off the bank. i use 30 to 40 pound test line so i can have a chance to get them in.good luck p.s the big one always bite when you are asleep:wink:

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Last summer I caught a #48, #45 and quite a few blues in the #20 - #30 range. All during daylight hours and all from the bank. Good luck.

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    For me..........

I bank fish and do it at night. Reason is because the majority of feeding cats go shallower at night and many tend to run up/down the shore line looking for food. This gives me the best chances of finding fish in a bank fishing situation .....for my lake at least.

I still do fish day time hours but rarely catch anything ,, usually just some bait for next trip. In a boat I'm at a better advantage to fish daytime holes and channel edges.

I agree, fishing any time when ya can is good but if I had to pick and choose my trips because of time or $$$....night is always my choice, hands down.

-Jim-

13. KINGCARP

KINGCARP New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i got a set of rod holders that has never lost a rod .never will. had them for 10 years paid 60$ for them i made 4 more so now i got 6 of them..i,ve caught a 75 pd blue and a bunch 40 to 60 pounders on them.they got a big spring on back of them. they automatic jerk back when a fish bites.they are heavy duty just 1 weights 8 pds.deadly on catfish and carp. just a little dangerouse u they jerk hard. don,t stand behind them. i ned to buy a welder and make some more to sell.i have been asleep when they go off it will wake you up.there are awesome.

14. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I too fish the Miss River from the bank in West TN (Memphis). There is allot of factors to consider catfishing on the Miss river. The first that comes to mind is watertype and what type bank are you fishing? (current type, depth, riprap?, sand/gravel? mud?, time of year etc. etc.)
    I've found that I can catch Flatheads in shallow water at night, morning and evening in areas with little current during later Summer and Fall.

I've also found that I rarely ever catch a Blue in less that 30 ft. of water and current is a must unless your going for fiddlers.

I suggest getting a river map that shows you where the channel runs and depths if you wanna go after Blues. Find some areas of the river with some depth and then try to get to them. Thats what I do at least.

15. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I prefer to bank fish at night. I've done OK both day & night, as well
    as not so good. Water high/low. Fish has a mind of their own. When they bite they bite, when they don't they don't. I wish I could change their minds!:confused2:

16. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Welcome to the BOC, Ive done good from the bank pretty much anytime it seems like right around dark and right around light the get more active but Ive cought them at high noon also, I think its just when they are in the mood to eat. the more you have bait in the water the better your chances, Mickey says "all it takes is one cast" or something like that

17. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I used to think that when I fished for 8 hours and did'nt get a bite it was because "they just were'nt biting". Now I'm more inclined to think "I just was'nt ON the fish" meaning... my bait was there but the fish were somewhere else.
    The Mississippi is a super giant river with literally thousands of areas for fish to be at in a 1 mile stretch of river.

Now I'm by no stretch of the imagination an expert but I can plainly see by the belly size of these catfish that they are BIG eaters. I think if I'm lucky enough to put a fresh bloody bait in front of one, he will (sooner or later) bite it, unless he is spawning.

It is a fact that Catfish are active nocturnal and do leave those dark sanctuaries when the sun goes down to find good feeding opportunities in the shallows. During the Summer me and a buddy will fish the bank at night and have to make a concious effort to not cast out too far. We've hooked good'uns spitting distance from the bank. But during the daytime it's a totally different ball game. I have to find cover, schooling baitfish, eddys and current breaks.

I try to keep in mind the quote from fellow BOC member Mr.Mark. "theres a fine line between fishing and standing on the bank"

18. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i do my best during the day but at night i dont catch as much but i catch bigger fish.

19. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Here in Okla. I have better luck in daytime in cold weather and night in hot weather. Maybe it is just easier on me.:smile2:

20. rich crabtree

rich crabtree New Member

State:
    ohio
    the best time to fish is any time , i got a 29 lber ( flathead ), at 9 30 in the morning . then my 39lber ( blue ) was sometime after dark. :smile2: