Bank fishing tips

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jerellman, May 17, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    does anyone have any advice for me, i have no boat so i am stuck on the bank. Is there any place in particular that i should look for? and what baits are best from the shore?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Fish at nights. The cats will come in closer to the bank, sometimes in water about 4" deep. Select bait which is natural for the area your in... smaller fish, crawdads, cutbait, liver, stink bait...whatever. My preference is to not have a fire or lights...just dark. When you need to rebait, you can use a small headlamp. Turn it on, do your thing, and get it off again. Fish are not used to seeing lights on the bank. lol.

3. ILcatman82

ILcatman82 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I almost always fish at night from the bank for catfish. One thing I always like to be near is a fallen tree or some other kind of cover and a spot that has a shallow area around 4-5 ft deep with a deep hole not too far away

4. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Hey Dude,

I'm from Cali' also and started out bank fishing like you. Actually still do unless I'm fishin' at Irvine. The best time is to fish at night. You tend to get more and bigger fish, plus they don't tend to be as fussy as they are during the day time.

The best thing to do is set-up with rod holders and cast out. If you don't have any kind of bait alarm that lights up and makes a noise (Bass Pro Shops), which allows you to keep the reel in free-spool when the fish takes off with your bait. If you can't do that, then just crack a glow stick hook it on the line and drop it down a couple of feet to allow the fish to take some line before you get to your rod and set the hook. Make sure when you hook the glow stick onto the line that you make sure that it can come off easily. That way it doesn't get in the way. Don't make alot of noise and don't use alot of light. You can get a real cheap headlamp at Wal-Mart and it works like a champ. I've had mine for awhile now.

I may ask alot of questions on the board but that's because you can never know too much about this beautiful sport of ours. If you're in the Southern California area and want a fishing partner give me a shout-out. I'm more then happy to split a boat rental with you at Irvine or somewhere else and catch some kitties.

CHUY

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Chuy had some good advice for you. Another thing that works good for me instead of a glow stick, is a pole bell. You can get them At Wally-World and they last a lot longer then glow sticks. As soon as a fish takes the bait the bell will start ringing and give you plenty of time to get set. I'm glad to hear someone else lets the fish run a bit. Especially with big cats, I always let them go for a while and make sure they have the whole bait in their mouth before setting the hook.

6. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    First thing I do is scout the river for rock and sand bars. Then I look to see what the water looks like right off the bar....shallow or a fairly deep drop. I next look to see if there is an Eddy around there.Next I look to see if there is a creek coming in or around there. Then I look for deadheads in the water.
    :0a26:

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When night fishing I would chose shallow water close to a deep hole with structure, Live bluegill or freshcut bait works well....In the daytime I would try in the deepwater first, and then go shallow.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    If you can, get a map of the lake or river your fishing... esp if they have a good topo map of the lake... Look for deep near shallow near shore... try fishing there... Pack light and be prepared to move often if your at a new lake that you don't know that well... I'd say wait about an hr or so if you don't get bitten, move... Keep the same baits and try different spots till you find where those baits work well... once you get that, try new baits and see if those work the in the same spots or if those have spots that they produce better in). Baits i'd suggest from shore, bluegils, liver, worms, cut bait...

Be sure you have good rod holders as well, forked sticks work if you can see the rods and there are only small fish in the lake/river but if you aren't watching you could have some missing rods in no time flat... The ones i would recommend are the spiral rod holders and horizontal ones sold by Catfish connection... they are under $3 a piece plus shipping, which is worth it esp if it keeps you from losing a $50+ combo into the drink with a fish attached to the end of it...

Biggest thing is enjoy your self :wink: