Bank Fishing the Ohio River

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Eudora, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hello all I just wanted to see if the river is fishable from the bank, particularly in Newport near the mouth of the Licking River. We are contemplating a trip down to the Ohio sometime around the holidays and are driving down from the Toledo area. If any of you have been on or around the river, let me know if it's too high to bankfish now. Also, if any of you guys know any other productive spots that may fishable, please let me know.

Thanks,

Andy:big_smile:

2. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany

I've posted a thread under the IN river talks after fishing the day after Christmas & New Years. I had also had the ideal of some of us about getting a sandwich at a resturant. If your interested feel free to drop me or cubacroc a pm.

3. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    The water on my part of the Ohio up in Chester WV is at about its normal height. Ive been down past the mouth of the licking lots of times. I never got to fish it though. I do know if the water is up this time of year. The mouths of rivers and streams is usualy a great place to catch channels and blues. Exspecialy when there is some sort of cover. And if the water is flooded up into high grass and around trees. Dont be afraid to fish it even if its shallow. Ive caught alot of big channels fishing this way. Even in as littele as a foot of water.

Hope this helps.

Catfish Clayton

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Water will be up I would bet ! Lot's of rain has moved thru the area .

5. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Yep, the water's up right now. A lot of people fish from the bank in that area. I haven't heard of any monsters being caught, but I hear of a few 20lb'ers every year.

6. Boondock

Boondock New Member

State:
    Harrods Creek, Kentucky
    I would say you would be safe now!

7. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    The water is high & the current is bad at The Falls Of The Ohio. I've tried to fish it a time or 2, but I'm not sure I'll try again.:confused2: