Bank fishing the Ohio River near Louisville

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Kentucky_Cat_Hunter, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

Kentucky_Cat_Hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey guys. I'm pretty new to the BOC, and this topic may have been covered several times but does anyone have any tips for some good bank fishing on the Ohio River near the Louisville area? I haven't river fished since I was a kid and I'm tired of the pay lakes. I don't have a boat, so I'm restricted to bank fishing. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    1rst let me welcome you to the BOC ,iv fished the ohio river from west port to cinci always from a boat sry not much help but looks like to me you should be able to fish any where along the shore at river front park or across the river at the falls or go down to docks where the restuants set under the bridges im sure someone on here has a better idea on this but welcome to the BOC anyway

3. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the welcome! When I was a kid I grew up near the power plant (LGE plant, I think it's called Millcreek but it's in Valley Station). People used to fish there off the bank. I haven't been over the flood wall there in probably 20 years, so I don't know the conditions over there. I have heard people talking about fishing from the bank at Greenwood boat docks, but didn't know if anyone knew of a better place. I really don't know much about fishing a river, so it will be a new experience for me. I have heard about people fishing in a boat at the Salt River mouth at the Ohio right there at West Point, KY but I doubt you could get down to the bank anywhere near there. I need a boat! :smile2:

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    John welcome to the BOC. Sorry but I'm not familar with the river.

5. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the welcome Catseeman!

6. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC John. I'm not familiar with river fishing either. I just do the small lakes in Indiana. But you might want to come over to the falls here in Clarksville and ask there. there are tons of people there that might help ya out. If you never have been there, go to the Indiana section and check out the pics that I posted of the Falls.

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    John, I was at the mouth of the Salt River once about four or five years ago. From what I could tell of it, it is all private ground. You might just fish at one of the Park's or something. I have heard that they catch a few good fish at Cox's Park and at the mouth of Harrod's Creek. If you fish at one of the parks be respectable to boaters and let them have plenty of room at the ramp. Some fishermen don't give them room and fish right on the ramp. Also as Gargoil said, there is excellent fishing at the falls, but you will have to cross into Indiana to fish it. As long as you are fishing the main stream of the Ohio you will only need a KY license. Vern

8. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to go over to the falls and try fishing there. And I won't need to get an Indiana license? That would be nice. Does anyone know if that area closes at dusk or could a guy fish there all night?

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hi John, welcome to the boc.

Ive fished salt river and mill creek plant a bunch. Awesome fishing at the plant for cats and hybrids. If you go into west point there is a small park you can park in and walk down to the river. Turn at the gas station in west point and take the second right, should lead you right to the park, its really only a small circle to park in. Theres also a small campground, launch ramp in West point, Turn into the fort duffield entrance and take a left, follow that until you reach the river. Theres a small fee for the duffield ramp, used to be 3 bucks but is probably 5 or more now. Havent been there in years, Ive had better luck fishing the Ohio instead of Salt river. Greenwood boat docks can be good but it turns into a party spot at night, can get kinda rowdy. Ive been to the falls but have never had any luck, must of been the wrong time. Have always heard good things about the falls though.

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Can't help you with location, but remember, the water will be moving, not every twitch of the line will be a bite. The trick is to figure out which one is! I passed on the river for the lake for a couple years and first time back like to made me a nervous wreck! LOL!!
    Good Luck!

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi John! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family! We're always glad to see another KY man jump on board, you guys are good people.:smile2: Our BOC national gathering is at Kenlake Resort Park (KY Lake) Sept.15-17 for your information.

12. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for all the info! I'm going to be doing some river fishing very soon, maybe this weekend.

I saw the info for the National Gathering. I'd love to come, but I'm getting married Sept 30th and the gathering is very close to that. I'm not sure I can make it. I would love to come out and spend that Saturday with everyone and do a little fishing, but like I said I'm not sure I can make it just yet.

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone. Glad to be a part of the BOC!